Scared myself today…was it just my imagination?

• Wish2Fish

I bought a 2005 Skeeter WX-1880 brand new, but it’s spent the last 10+ years in storage. I just retired and was looking forward to returning to my boat and fishing. I changed the fuel lines, charged the batteries, added some fresh gas to the empty tanks and took it to the lake for a test drive/shakedown cruise. The boat started right up, idled nicely. After it was warmed up I idled across a large no-wake zone. Once I was clear of the no-wake zone I throttled to 3,000 RPM and ran for about 5 minutes. Everything was in order, the engine running smoothly. I eased up to 4,000 RPM and the boat felt very, very tail-heavy. I confirmed the motor was trimmed fully down, but the transom was pushing down almost to the waterline. If I were younger and fearless, I would have pushed to full throttle and tried to get on plane, but honestly, the tail felt so heavy I was afraid of burying the stern and flooding the boat. I throttled back and headed to the dock. I convinced myself the hull was filling with water, but my bilge pumps weren’t pumping any water overboard and the boat road nice and level at 3,000 RPM.

Once on the trailer I pulled the plug and only about a gallon of water drained (plus about 5 gallons from the live wells which I’d left open).

It’s been about 10 years since I used this boat. I’m hoping you Skeeter drivers can tell me, was the plowing and tail-heavy sensation a result of my timidness about going to full throttle and getting on plane? Or could I have actually driven the stern down and swamped it with a higher throttle setting? I simply do not recall the dramatic bow-high attitude when throttling up all those years ago. It really spooked me.

shady5

Some boats can feel ‘draggy’ before getting up on plane, but generally not enough to fear sinking the stern. I can’t imagine it would sink if you opened it up. I know you mention it has been in storage for the past decade, but if you operated it previously with that happening you would likely have remembered it. Weird…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you are sure the trim is working take it out and bury the throttle. It will pop up on plane or………….it won’t. grin

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Suggestion, give it full throttle all at once to get the load up ,going & on plane. Make sure your trim is all the way down . Then you can back off to leisure cruising speed of low 20s….
    You will be hard pressed to swamp it in any fashion..

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I second what Dean said… I have found its best to give it all she’s got to get her out of the water, then back it down… it will stay on plane while cruising. I run my tiller around 3200 rpm for optimal cruising and spot to spot while fishing. But always keep it WOT till is planes out and I am trimmed where I like it.

Wish2Fish

Thanks all…I’ve been thinking about this all day and am pretty sure this was my own-doing. I’ve always used full throttle to get on-plane and never had a problem. I think that after so many years off the water I was just expecting SOMETHING to go wrong. So I was easing it up to speed, not thinking about getting up on-plane. When the bow went up I looked back and was surprised at how the transom was. I was convinced I had taken on water and had just shifted the ballast back with the throttle increase. With that thought I was not about to give it more throttle.

I think I just need to take it out again. Float it for a while, open some accesses and confirm there’s no water in the bilge (no reason there would be, but just so I can get that thought outta my head) and then bury the throttle and get it up on-plane. If I do a wheelie and put the boat on its back, I’ll know there was a problem! But in reality, I’ll probably just prove that it was my inappropriately conservative use of the throttle today.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

What do you mean by left lives wells open?

abster71
    crawford county WI

just a thought could you feel any slippage in the prop could be possible that the rubber hub could be dry rotted?

Wish2Fish

What do you mean by left lives wells open?

The fill/drain valveS were open so the wells filled while I was on the water.

Wish2Fish

just a thought could you feel any slippage in the prop could be possible that the rubber hub could be dry rotted?

It’s an interesting thought. I feel like the prop was biting so probably not but it’s worth checking.

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

What motor is on your 1880? I have had my 1880 with a 150 Yamaha since 2008. With this package you just have to send it to get it on plane.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats on your retirement!!

Pete

Wish2Fish

What motor is on your 1880? I have had my 1880 with a 150 Yamaha since 2008. With this package you just have to send it to get it on plane.

It’s a 200 HP Yamaha 2 stroke.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.