Saylorville Resevoir, IA 10-17-04

• dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

I had the Ville pretty much to myself on Sunday afternoon. It was a beautiful afternoon, not too windy and almost 60deg. The water temp is 50.8, so things have definitely cooled down. I saw 2 other boats out there, both in the Marina and Sandpiper area. I fished from 3 till 5 mostly around McBride point looking for whites stacked up on the old roadbed. I found them on sonar twice but was not able to get a single one in the boat.

I tried spoons, jigs with gulp minnows, slabs and tailspinners all to no avail. I spotted diving gulls in the binos and zoomed over hoping for a bust up, but I think they were picking at leftovers from a few cormorants. I did not do any trolling, which I may have to resort to the next time out. I know they are there and can be caught, the question is, how much patience I can have hunting them down instead of moving over to Big Creek for the start of the (hopefully) walleye bite.

This represents the first time all year I have gotten skunked on the Ville. I am quite convinced that I can get decent numbers of whites all the way up to hard water because they are doing it in the Dakotas. I think I will give Saylorville at least one more outing before moving on to other waters…

Tight lines,

Dave

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

Some of the best whites/wiper fishing I have encountered has been in late October, early November. When the wind is out of the north, the points/jetties on the east side of the lake can be very good.

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks!

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.