Savage 220

• Kirt Stokes

Recently purchased a Savage 220. I have an issue with the ammo feeding from the magazine. It’s like it is trying to be fed at the wrong angle and causes it to jam. Had anyone else had this problem and what did you do to remedy the situation?

disco bobber

I had that problem. Just putting one shell in the magazine seems to cure it.

Coletrain27

If it’s new I would be taking it back to the shop you bought it from or contact savage and send it in.

haleysgold
    SE MN

The clip is tricky to seat and it took me few times to get it right. It got better after using it a few times.
    Never had an issue feeding a round unless the clip was in crooked.
    If you bought from a dealer I’d start there. Have them look at it and tell you if it’s the gun or how you’re seating the clip.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Last year I purchased a Ruger American .30-06. Same thing happened for me. For whatever reason, the 2nd cartridge in the clip would get caught every single time. So in the field, I’d get two shots off w/o an issue but the 3rd got jammed. Took it back to the place I purchased it and the guy did nothing more than look at it and tell me “you’re right that doesn’t work, does it?” and then proceed to tell me theres nothing he can do. Eventually I just purchased an additional magazine from Ruger separately. Threw some shells in it and it emptied without a problem and haven’t had an issue since. Put the original clip that came on the gun back in the box and returned it stating it didn’t work.

I’d start with going back to the dealer, but if that didn’t do it I’d just buy a replacement magazine.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

same issue here, but luckily the gun shoots great. so 1 shell is only needed.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Ford – I think the OP has either a 20 or 12 Gauge not a rifle.

Or I have it wrong but I don’t think so.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

@Kirt Stokes – are you referring to the Savage 220 deer hunting shotgun? If so, dropping one in the chamber prior to putting in the mag solves this. You need to cycle the bolt with some authority to get it to eject/feed correctly. If your action isn’t smooth, sit down and cycle it (while empty) a few hundred times and it will loosen up.

Absolute tack-driver out to at least 100 yards with 2.75″ Remington Accutips. I’ve never seen a slug gun as accurate as this…my brother bought one immediately after seeing mine in action. I’m sure it would be accurate even further, but where I hunt 100 yards would be a LONG shot (heavily wooded). Plus, it is a pleasure to shoot! I don’t feel like I’m going to detach a retina every time I pull the trigger.

I’ve taken 5 deer with mine so far – dropped them all within 25 yards after impact (a couple of them right in their tracks).

Scott

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Savage 220 is a 20ga dedicated slug shotgun.
    Savage 212 is a 12ga dedicated slug shotgun.

Scott

Kirt Stokes

The clip is tricky to seat and it took me few times to get it right. It got better after using it a few times.
    Never had an issue feeding a round unless the clip was in crooked.
    If you bought from a dealer I’d start there. Have them look at it and tell you if it’s the gun or how you’re seating the clip.

Bought it from Buds Gunshop. I’m hoping it’ll work itself out.

Jim Peterson

I’ve experienced the same problem. It appears that the recoil causes the shells in the magazine to slide forward and in the process the bottom one slides further forward so that the ring gets in front of the ring of the top shell. Once this happens there is no way it can be fed into the action because the protruding ring of the top shell gets caught on the ring of the lower one. At first I thought this was because the magazine is big enough for 3″ shells which means 2 3/4″ shells have more room to slide forward. But today I tried it with 3″ shells, and the exact same thing happened. The only solution I know of is to only put 1 shell in the magazine. That really isn’t a solution! This problem is well documented on the web and I have yet to find any good solutions. I’ve wondered if a stronger spring in the magazine might work, exerting more upward force on the shell and thus preventing it from sliding forward, but I haven’t tried it or read of anyone else trying it.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Can a spacer be put in the magazine in front of the shells to take up the space so the shells don’t slide forward? Sounds like a perfect 3-D printer project to try different thicknesses.

ThunderLund78

Yup, it’s my one complaint about the gun (aside from the ammo scramble every fall, but I’m stocked up now). It’s not all in the magazine but I’d have gladly paid $50 more for a metal mag with tighter springs, etc. I think the problem lies in the fact that you’re cycling plastic shells with 90deg edges through a style of action that normally handles streamlined, hard metal casings. Plastic is malleable and can get caught on hard edges very easily. Like others have said, I often drop one in manually and then put the loaded mag in, cross my fingers it will work if I needed a second shot (I haven’t yet!) But it does get better with use and it does seem to cycle better when actually firing; maybe because the chamber is hot??? Who knows. Love the gun though! Once it’s dialed-in the accuracy is unreal. I’d use it in the rifle zone, depending on the location/terrain.

Hoyt4
    NULL

My dad had the same issue clip can go in both direction but one is wrong. That was causing it to Jam you have to make sure it’s installed the correction direction and you will not have the jamming any longer. I used last year to shoot a couple does and it worked awesome when you put the clip in correctly.

Jim Peterson

A spacer was my first thought too. But when I got the three inch shells this season I thought that would solve the problem because they are a very nice fit in the mag… But it still happens.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.