San Diego charter fishing

• chomps
    Sioux City IA

Have a trip planned for the end of January. Any recommendations as to a charter? All day is fine, wouldn’t mind doing one of those fish over the side mass chaos type of deals, but want to go out deep sea fishing on a charter too. Thanks

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I had ok luck with a boat called “San Diego” for tuna but that was 5-7 years ago. You may want to bring your passport along. You can catch a boat at dark and they go south arriving in the morning to fish. Do some internet “fish count”searches to see how and where they are currently fishing. Also, you may want to rent both a spinning and bait cast rod. Spinning rod gets the bait past the others out to the fish. The back corner of the boat where they throw out bait is the best with the bow being next best. Good luck! Cabo for me next week.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Have a trip planned for the end of January. Any recommendations as to a charter? All day is fine, wouldn’t mind doing one of those fish over the side mass chaos type of deals, but want to go out deep sea fishing on a charter too. Thanks

Well, definitely search and call for details and what you want to do. I fished on a 6 pack out of San Deigo few years ago in December and this time of year is not ideal as the cold water puts a damper on what fish are in the area, like tuna, however I am not the expert. Definitely see if you can find a species/time of the year chart. There will always be something to catch as there are local populations of rockfish. Either way it is fun and we did catch some fish, just look to see what is available. Here is a good place to start: https://www.sandiego.org/articles/fishing/fishing-seasons.aspx

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Thanks for that link, guess April is the best month for most species of salt water fish. I’ll continue to look. It’s surprising how varied the pricing is.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My fella I used twice with success became an LEO. (

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Been on the “Independence” 4 different times.
    1st class
    We would do however 6 day runs for Tuna & Dorado end of August each year. I was so impressed that if I would go any other time of the year and they were doing shorter runs ( which I believe they do) I would definitely go with them.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Some years back we went out of this charter and had a great experience. We just did the 1/2 day trip but they offer day and a half trips down to Mexico for Bluefin, yellowfin, albacore and bigeye tuna if that’s more you goal.

http://www.seaforthlanding.com/

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I had ok luck with a boat called “San Diego” for tuna but that was 5-7 years ago. You may want to bring your passport along. You can catch a boat at dark and they go south arriving in the morning to fish. Do some internet “fish count”searches to see how and where they are currently fishing.

I believe the “San Diego” was one of the Seaforth fleet boats.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.