Saltwater fishing destinations

• MnPat1

I am preparing for my annual trip to costa rica for some saltwater fishing. 3 weeks this year!! I will start on the east coast fishing for tarpon from shore with artificial. Then a week of fishing on the pacific coast.

Where is everyone going saltwater fishing this year?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Nothing too special, but Clearwater Beach FL in April. Just shore fish usually but may try and pull the trigger on a tarpon charter this year. The shore fishing usually yields some trout and nice sheepshead which is enough to keep me entertained. So many places to fish too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Going to Naples in March, probably going to book a charter one day and maybe bring a rod for some channel fishing. Open to any recommendations on either front!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’ll be heading back to the FL Keys, can’t wait!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Going to Naples in March, probably going to book a charter one day and maybe bring a rod for some channel fishing. Open to any recommendations on either front!

We went through Ms B. Haven when we were in Naples. We had Captain Ken. Had an awesome time!

ThunderLund78

Jealous! WE had a Keys trip booked before COVID and had to cancel. Haven’t got around to rescheduling. Probably wont be this year.

Love the Keys, can’t go wrong with the fishing. If your charter’s a bust, bring your own rod and hit the bridges and channels.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ll be heading back to the FL Keys, can’t wait!

I went there in April 2018 for 3 days of guided saltwater fishing with my Father and it was a very memorable experience. Hope to go again in the future.

Attachments:
    1. jack-crevalle.jpg

2. slob-jack-crevalle.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Love the Keys, especially once the water warms in March and April and the tarpon move in. I’ve been fortunate to have some memorable days in the islamorada area.

Bigwerm and I fished in Puerto Rico a couple years ago. That’s an underrated destination for Tarpon as well.

Cabo is another great place but really better the warmer it gets. In winter the fishing can be a little slower.

My bucket list destination is Panama. Not sure when that will happen.

We may get to the keys or Puerto Rico this year. Hoping we can carve out at least a few days.

tim hurley

Just got back from Sanibel Island FLA. Saw tons of Sea Trout, guy on the beach caught some small sharks.
    Weather dude forcasted a ‘cold front,’ temp. was going from 80 to 75 for ONE day. Not a cold front IMO.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Bigwerm and I fished in Puerto Rico a couple years ago.

That was a great vacation and fun fishing too. We will be going back there in the next few years with the kids.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

I’ve been going on an ice fishing trip with the same core group of four guys for the past 15-20 years. We are getting a little burned out picking a destination the last few years. We’ve done Red 6 times, LOW both south shore and the Angle 7-8 times, tried a few smaller bodies a few times.
    This has got me thinking, maybe we just do a VRBO somewhere south and do some saltwater trip…

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The only saltwater fishing I have ever done was in the Bahamas. Our friends who owned a villa there are friend with a local guy who took us out for a day of fishing. We caught Mahi Mahi, Yellow fin tuna, and Wahoo. It was one of the most fun days I’ve ever had on the water. Sadly our friends Villa was destroyed by hurricane Dorian in Sept. 2019. They have plans to rebuild it, but are not sure just when. Hopefully after it is rebuilt we can make another trip there and get back out fishing again. The guy we fished with has seen some recent pictures of his fishing outings, and the fishing has been great. I can tell you one thing. Unless you have ever hooked a Wahoo, you can’t believe how fast they are. We hooked one a good 60-80 yards on one side of the boat and in the blink of a eye it was that or more on the other side of the boat. The color of the fish and the way they change color in the water is incredible as well.

On cold days like this in Minnesota I find myself dreaming of being on the water in the Bahamas. Hope to make that dream a reality someday in the near future.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Tampa Bay area is pretty good too and it costs less than going to a place like the Keys. I stayed at a St Pete Beach resort for a week during my honeymoon in April 2015. My wife and I had a guided inshore saltwater fishing trip one day in the bay and we caught snook, redfish, and sea trout. I’d definitely go back there again.

Attachments:
    1. redfish.jpg

2. snook.jpg

MnPat1

We started on the east coast of costa rica last year in early March. Tarpon were slow for a couple days and then the floodgates opened and they came in numbers. I went 2 for 10 in the last 6 hours of fishing. I couldn’t slow down the big fish as they would take 250 yards of line out in seconds. 5/8 ounce black bucktails cast into the river and jigged backed near the surface got the bites. The jig is a staple for big snook and tarpon.
    On the west coast the bite was slow on poppers but the live bait bite was red hot. Many big cuberas along with roosters and amberjack. The surprise of the trip was 3 big marlin we hooked while fishing nearshore. The fight with one of the the marlin was over 5 hours and we never slowed it down.
    Fun trip
    Flights were empty.
    Under $2000 per person door to door for 11 days.

Attachments:
    1. D2EEA52D-C999-4DAC-9A04-E23644FBFD68.png

2. 28A1A0C9-8FCE-406E-BC07-EAFDB545D5C2.jpeg

3. CE436E17-6876-4D49-A676-36D442301287.png

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.