How big…

• JonnyMayz
    Hastings,MN

Would you consider a “Trophy” Stream Trout? I gotta 28″ Brown on my wall and have recieved some grief for it from some of my relatives from the Duluth area who assure me its a baby but don’t understand the difference of fisheries. I would think there has to be a Lake to Stream equation or something, right?

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

28″ out of a stream is huge.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

comparing lake dwellers with small stream fish is just foolish. That is a giant stream trout by any measure.

timmy

I have fished north shore streams where a 14″ native fish is a trophy as well as some bgger, healthier streams in southern MN where it takes an 18+ to turn heads.

A 28″ stream fish is outsized no matter where…….

Tim

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Your relatives are on crack. I’m guessing you could fish A LOT of places in this world and not get a 28″ average or bigger. I’d love to catch one that big for a replica. The pics Len and Scud are posting prove they are one of the most beautiful freshwater fish.

LenH
    Wisconsin

28 incher is my biggest small stream brown also. Anything over 24 inches from a small stream is MASSIVE.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

You are nuts. That is just a baby

Just kidding. That is a GREAT stream fish. Your relatives need to get out more

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Quote:

28 incher is my biggest small stream brown also. Anything over 24 inches from a small stream is MASSIVE.

Dido 28″ is huge only have herd of a few caught bigger in a small stream

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Kind of old news, but this is a 35″ 20 lb stream trout caught mid-June. Maybe some of you have not seen this. Rainbow out of Big Hole however. Anything close to this in the Midwest would be impressive.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/flytalk/2009/06/big-hole-gives-very-big-fish

My understanding is the rainbow trout strain here is the same as out west. When you catch a big rainbow out West do they also think of it as a big stupid brooder like they do in the Midwest?

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Size is in the eye of the beholder and that thing is a monster. I’d be happy with it no matter where I caught it.

stfanatic
    Altura, MN.

8#2oz. would qualify for master angler. im sure your fish is close to that if not over.

Fanatic

JonnyMayz
    Hastings,MN

Thanks for the clarification guys, I gotta show my uncle the replies I’d been fishing trout in SE MN for twenty years and my prior biggest to the 28″er I caught last year was 21″ and the 28 absolutely dwarfed it in my eyes. I didn’t get a weight on it but a couple measurements and a crappy cell phone photo but I do have a nice looking replica of her my taxidermist did a great job from what he had to go with

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Definitely a nice size fish. And echoing others, a 28” stream brown in my opinion is a once in a lifetime fish. I have caught probably 75 browns in the 18-24” range in my lifetime, but unfortunately a 24” is my biggest stream raised fish. I haven’t mounted any, but I’m pretty sure a 28” would go on the wall for me.
    I would say a 22-24” stream trout debatable to be mounted, but anything over 24” is well deserved to be mounted.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Len, maybe we should take up ice fishing. One page back see what this guy gets in Feb. Holy crap.

20lb lake brown

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Like most people on here I’d have to say that a 28″ stream trout is an absolute monstrosity

I use to catch a fair amount of trout in the 16-18″ range from the willow river in wisconsin, but my biggest came out of the St. Croix River. That fish was 24″, and it was not the typical brown trout coloring, but more like a rainbow trout

Congrats

cutthroat
    Two Harbors, Minnesota

Anyone who thinks that a 28-inch stream trout is not a huge fish, and likely a lifetime trophy, either doesn’t fish or is just flapping his mouth to hear himself speak. I have caught a fair number of trout over 28 inches, but NEVER in a stream. Congratulations on a wonderful catch!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

28″ for an inland stream is huge. I have one that is 31-1/2″ mounted, but I can’t claim it to be an inland. I caught it in a Lake Michigan tributary about 6 miles above a dam. To the letter of the law, above the dam is inland. But I know in super high water, fish pass the dam and continue up stream.

It also sucks the taxidermist screwed it up. Rather than having another taxi fix it, I left the crappy paint job so I can discourage anyone from using him. Almost 25 years later I still get fired up. This brown has all the cool markings of a natural stream brown with beautiful markings. The idiot painted the belly & back black and the rest link a rotten orange that is all molded up. When I get a digital camera again, I’ll post a pic of the fish and the mount so you can see the difference.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.