Circle hook questions

• markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

I like to target bigger trout. Carry two poles. One set with a swivel for spinners and raps. The other set for hook and a split.

I don’t see a need in harvesting the larger trout. I just like to practice CPR. Yet with bait using traditional hooks some get gut hooked and I’d like to avoid this.

Questions:

What are favorite circle hooks at a reasonable price?
    Do you go larger or smaller than a traditional J hook?
    Anyone have experience using circle hooks for trout or salmon?
    What is the best method for hook set?

Normally I use a #6-8 for a crawler. I use a #2 for 3-4″ chub tail. The #2 may seem large but the idea is to prevent a deep swallow as well as get a strong hook set.

Also what are your thoughts on gut hook mortality? Gill hook is a gonner. Bleeding, probably will die. However if gut hooked deeper, not bleeding, and fish in good shape, if I cut the line and/or hook, what are the chances of survival? People catch fish with hooks in their mouths. I know I have. Esopagus and stomach is tough rubbery tissue. Believe big trout are suvivors to begin with. Even 50/50 odds, I’d rather give that fish a chance. If my instinct tells me a big trout is not going to make I I keep it. Coons don’t need to be fed.

For hook set on circle do you let them run longer? Or normal count to five (or bobber under) good enough? You pick up slack, feel the fish, and do a slow side sweep, NO JERK hook set. Slow sweep and maintain pressure. This sound right?

Thanks in adance for advice.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Questions:

What are favorite circle hooks at a reasonable price?
    Do you go larger or smaller than a traditional J hook?
    What is the best method for hook set?

For hook set on circle do you let them run longer? Or normal count to five (or bobber under) good enough? You pick up slack, feel the fish, and do a slow side sweep, NO JERK hook set. Slow sweep and maintain pressure. This sound right?

Thanks in adance for advice.

I’m primarily a catfisherman and all I use is circle hooks. I have an excellent hook up rate and the hook set is pretty simple. 90% of the time the fish will hook itself when it grabs the bait and turns and runs. Just hold the rod and let the fish swim away hooking itself. When I get a tap/tap/tap type bite I just pick up the rod, reel up the slack until I feel a tight line and just start reeling. You can do a sweeping side hook set but I seldom do. I just feel the line get tight and start reeling and the smooth tension just hooks the fish.

Just about every time the hooks is firmly embedded in the side of the mouth. I seldom see a gut hooked fish.

My favorite hooks are Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks. They snell up perfectly.

stfanatic
    Altura, MN.

ive also used the gamakatsu. i have mixed feelings on the circle hook but also have not used them that many times. i wish they had a bait holder. im sure that i just need a bit more practice with them. i lip hooked a 22″ male brown a few years ago on them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.