Glow in the dark trout ?

• Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

We had a b-day party for the womans daughter who turned ( ) a teenager today at Interstate Park in WI this weekend. Yes this did include camping with 7 kids age 10-13 (talk about some know it alls ). Anyways we had a site on the north end of the campground which led to an early morning walk with the woman and dog which of course we walked north which led out of the campground and rite to a WI State Trout hatchery which made my day but they didnt open to the public till 8 am so we returned to camp. After some breakfast and weeding thru who wants to go or stay my niece ends up being the only one to go (figure it’s in the blood).

Now if you have never been to the trout farm in St.Croix Falls WI it’s nothing to go 300 miles out of your way for unless you are an absolute trout fanatic but if you are in the area it’s worth a stop-to-see for sure

As we stroll thru the gate and up to the first tank inside I am amazed to see some HUGE brown trout. I’ve caught my fair share of trout and some (I thought anyways) that were dandies that should have ended up on the wall but were returned to the gently flowing brooks had nothing on the size of these trout, in fact I had no idea trout got this BIG.

After about six tanks of fish getting smaller and smaller we come upon the first tank of Brook trout which I never had any clue could get so big. These things were absolute pigs to the point where I actually contemplated trout fishing (not at the hatchery) but to actually trout fish and try and hunt these hogs in the shallow streams and brooks that have the holes to hold these big trout.

Well as I am staring in awe at the size of these trout my niece says “Uncle Jesse, why is that one glowing?” So the first thing I am thinking, as my niece and I are usually up to pranking one another or goofing each other somehow always, is she is setting me up so I say “yeah Sarah it’s ok, well get you back to your padded room at the funny farm soon” but as I walked down the side of the tank towards her I could actually make out a fish that seemed to have a distinctive flourecent type glow to it. Holy cow she was’nt kidding!!!!!! They had 2 brookies that I swear looked like they would glow in the dark and these things were NOT small.

After further investigation it turns out that there is a 1 in 1 million chance these fish will have the genetic disorder which had no real scientific explanation from the guy who worked on sundays feeding the fish. This was the most amazing fresh water fish I have ever seen not only the glow like coloring but the size of these piggie trout were amazing.

I will be going back to get photo’s to post here. I’m telling you, if you are in the St.Croix/Taylors Falls area passing thru to your favorite lake or cabin you should really take 5 minutes and stop in and check out these fish. As a fishing nut these fish were simply amazing and made my trip dealing with sugar amped tweens and teens all weekend all worth the while.

Pics to come within a week or two

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

That’ll be cool to see

I use to do some pretty heavy trout fishing in the spring, with spinners

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If this was more common and people didn’t know about it, I suspect there would be a lot more CPR, especially fish caught from the big rivers.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Glow in the dark trout would be cool to see……attached to a Musky quick strike rig

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

So does that mean a guy wouldnt need a headlamp to grill them in the dark

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

Glow in the dark trout would be cool to see……attached to a Musky quick strike rig

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.