Ontario mid-summer Lake Trout

• jhanson123

I’m going up to a Canadian shield mixed bag lake next week, and am looking to try my hand at Trout fishing with downriggers. We’ve caught Trout on the lake in the past, but only when they’re still shallow with Rapalas and tube jigs. I’ve got downriggers, balls, snaps, etc. I need to know what lures I need to buy. We are primarily going for Walleye and Smallies, so I’m not looking to break the bank. I just need maybe 4 or 6 staple lures to bring. I’ve got original Rapalas in several sizes and colors. I’m thinking spoons. I was going to troll the main parts of the lake. If I spot bait fish on my locator, I’ll set the depth to about where their suspended.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I would say a chrome Dr. Spoon would be a must have.

whittsend

I’d go white… White dodgers, white flys, etc… Wonderbread colored spoons are good.

I know some guys will rig up the ball – dodger (short lead)-fly (fly/dodger both white usually) and let the rigger balls run right off of bottom, sometimes even bouncing off the bottom. Pound ball setups might be ok, too.

worth a shot, anyway.

Try also glangler.com for more laker info.

Mike

jhanson123

Thanks guys. How about lure size? Is bigger better or will smaller produce more fish?

thegun
    mn

I second Dan!
    The only thing I would do different is get that same spoon one side gold and one side silver? then the williams wobbler hammered silver and gold as well!

great part is trout eat them sunny or cloudy when you use the gold silver combo!

I have caught many a trout on them spoons! in many differnt lakes!

a1a

Little Cleo…the small one that is hammered copper on one side and fluorecent pink on the other. (Same side)

I haven’t used a lot of the traditional laker tackle, flashers, divers, bells, etc., but I have done very well in Ontario with Little Cleos. Dr. Spoons and Krokodile Spoons would be close runner ups!

Oh, and for some reason the bigger lakers I’ve caught (12-15#) come on the smaller spoons while figure eight trolling steep breaking rocky points. Good Luck! Wish I was going…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.