pike in trout pond

• eye_hunter

ok i just gotta tell someone, i was fishing for trout in the kasota area for trouts. they were not biting, i was really wondering why, and than i notice something big swam by me. it was a huge pike, like 35 inch long. if you’ve seen those ponds you’ll notice that there is no way a pike could get into the ponds unless someone purposely puts one in there. the ponds are blocked off and they are small as heck, about the size of a ditch on the side of the road. anyways just wanted to say that.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That pike will grow ubber-fat on a diet of trout. Could be a case of “bucket biologists” dumping a pike or two in the pond. Or if there is a connecting waterway of any size it would be possible for a small pike to make it into the pond during periods of high water. Mother nature always seems to find a way.

ozzyky
    On water

I’ve caught a few small 20 inch pike in trout streams that dump into the mississippi. One was probable 3 miles from where the stream met the miss. and the other was probably 5 miles upstream from where it dumped into the miss. IF these fish stayed in there they should have started to develop a “bullhead” but haven’t caught them since and that was 3 years ago. I left them in the stream because….well no good reason I figured since I don’t keep a trout they could eat a few of mine if they pleased and I kinda like those toothy critters.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.