Hay Creek

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Spent the day with an old friend wandering up and down Hay Creek in search of a few trout. Good news: The new waders didn’t leak, the flies I tied float nicely and look like mayflies (to me anyway). Bad news: I found no evidence of trout at all. Skunked!

I think the problem was that I couldn’t find any wing
    dams

Rootski

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

What no phone call

It’s been a while since I have fished that stream. I was just talking to my dad about heading down to the Elba/ St. Charles area and throw a few flies.

Sorry to hear that you have added another body of water to your I can’t catch a fish there list:
    Mille Lacs
    Hay Creek

Any others that I am missing

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Any others that I am missing

Uhhh…Leech. Been there twice, blanked twice. I tell you what,if you could have caught anything out of that crick today I’d be mightily impressed. It was low, clear, and empty. I saw a couple fo fish in one spot but I think they were suckers.

Let me know when you’re going…I’d like to try Whitewater once too.

Rootski

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Everytime I have fished Hay Creek it has been low and gin clear. It usally hands out a few short fish though.

As for Whitewater, the weekdays are the best, much less pressure. Feel a cough coming on

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Maybe you should try garden hackles instead of flys? Unless fly only water of course.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

At one point yesterday my partner pointed down into the water and said “Hey look at that!”. There was a big old nightcrawler washing right down the middle of the stream. We decided that was a bad sign, something should have eaten that crawler long before we saw it.

I did see where someone had dumped out a minnow bucket on the bank

We’ll get ’em next time.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Speaking of white water has anyone seen how bad the ammonia from the st charles fire has affected it? The news made it look like it was really bad, but they said it was only in the south fork of the stream? My buddy and I went out on opener and did ok We fished belle in the morning with poor results. Saw a few nice browns swim away, water was lower than normal. The catch and release only part of that stream was incredable last year. We also fished a stream just west of Lake City and did really well, nothing big, caught 9 between the two of us and missed like 20 barbless hooks add some excitment to the situation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.