Sales Tax On a Camper from Private Party

• hop307
    Northern Todd County

I am looking at buying a camper through a private party, and was wondering if I needed to pay the sales tax that I would pay if I would buy a camper through a dealer. Or is it like buying a boat through a private party where under a certain dollar amount you don’t have to pay.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

No tax.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I think you do actually have to pay tax on a camper based on the sale value even if it’s used. Because it’s considered an “on-road” vehicle, it’s treated the same way as a car. You have to pay the tax when you go to transfer the license.

While a used boat is not taxed in MN, you have to pay tax on the value of the trailer because it’s the trailer that is used on the road in MN.

I could be wrong if there is a special exemption for campers, but I’m almost sure the value of the boat trailer has been taxed.

Grouse

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Bought my 5th wheel last spring from private party and when I went to transfer the title I had to pay the sales tax.

Bryan Myers

I was wondering the same thing as I’m also looking at buying a used camper soon. Glad you asked and thanks for the answers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.