North Metro Report

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well, was able to skip work today and get out with a couple buddies. We hit Green this morning at about 9:00 or so. Set up in about 26 FOW. I thought it was going to be an exciting day as after I set down a crappie minnow on a pink hook, the bobber decided it didn’t want to stay on top too long. Down she went. I pulled in a decent crappie. With it hitting so fast of getting my line wet, I thought pretty sure that I wasn’t going to be able to get my jigging rod down at all. Well, that wasn’t the case.

After setting the deadstick back down, I proceeded to pull out my St Croix Legend Lite rod for jigging. Little did I know, somehow the spring grommet broke off of the rod. Gonna have to send it in for repairs. I switched up, set my St Croix premier as my dead stick and started jigging with my noodle rod. That rod would see about the most action for the day. Using a 1/16 oz Frostee jigging spoon in blue, I was able to pull in 3 more crappies… two of which were in the 11-12 inch class. Nice little slabs for this lake. At about noon or so, the crappies turned off and we had to deal with tiny perch clouding the bottom of the Marcum. The rest of the afternoon was spent pulling little perch off of the hooks.

Today, finessing was the key. We were marking plenty of crappies, but they were very finicky and tight lipped. Dropping in the spoon and jigging hard to get some notice… after that, slight and subtle jigging motions gave the crappies a presentation they could not resist. Again, most were tight lipped, so the few we were able to land were definately worked for. All in all, it was a good day to get out!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.