Rubber Boots

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

A while back I found a pair of Itasca rubber boots on sale at Tractor Supply. They’re 16 inches tall, neoprene/rubber, water proof, 400 gr. Thinsulate so they’re warm, and basically just about perfect for Pheasant hunting, work, shoveling snow, or anywhere else where I need to stay warm and dry. They worked GREAT for Pheasant hunting, light and easy to walk in. In the last two days, BOTH boots started to crack around the toes area. It’s like they’re made out of cookie dough or newspaper! I’ll be throwing them away, and now I need to replace them.

So what’s the deal with rubber cracking like that?

I gave up on ditch boots (hippers) because they never lasted more than a year or two. Now the same problem with these boots. I’m really hesitant to drop $100 ++ for a pair of Mucks or something if they’re going to crack and fall apart after a year.

A few questions:

1) Are there some brands of knee high rubber boots that last longer than one year?
    2) I’ve storing them in the basement, out of the sun and at room temp. Any problems with that?
    3) Is there anything I could treat rubber boots with to extend the life, like Armour-All?

Frustrated! Thanks guys….

S.R.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Not sure if the cold weather cold have something to do?

I wear knee high rubber boots almost exclusively while pheasant hunting, and I do a lot of it. This year I wore a pair of Muck Chores (I think that’s what they were called) and they worked fantastic. I wore them all summer around the garden, all fall while pheasant hunting and I couldn’t even guess how many miles are on them, no sign of wearing down. My Muck Arctic Pros for the winter months also have a lot miles on them and no wear.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I will second Muck boots. I have both pairs as mnrabbit. I Just got the artics a couple weeks ago so not a lot of miles yet but my chores have got quite a few and are holding up great.

realtreeap10
    Over there

I think it’s the brand as everyone that I know who has bought Itasca ends up with a problem in a short time frame. I’ve had good luck with Lacrosse rubber boots for deer hunting, 2 years old and you wouldn’t know it. Muck Arctic Pro for ice fishing/late season hunting awesome. Along with that I’ve heard good things about Irish Setter rubber boots but haven’t had a need to buy a new pair yet.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My itasca boots sucked. But I really like my muck artics. Besides I wish they were a bit bigger to make it easier to tuck my pants in to them.
    My next pair will be the lacrosse alpha burly. Every one says good things and they look like a good boot

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I have been wearing Mucks for many years and love them. Wear them almost daily for everything from walking the dog to hunting and fishing. I have the Wetland and Chore boots for general use and the Arctic Sporta and just bought some Arctic Pros.

Only Mucks I had an issue with were the Blazer or Fieldblazers I think a Cabelas-exclusive. These were very lightweight and had poor traction. I wore through the heels in less than a year of general use.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Have always had good luck with Lacrosse.

snelson223
    Austin MN

I got a pair of Lacross boots this fall. So far so good. They get abused and still look like new.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

My lacrosse 5 years old leak. Going to mucks.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m really hesitant to drop $100 ++ for a pair of Mucks or something if they’re going to crack and fall apart after a year.

Spend the $100++ on Mucks! You’ll never regret it.

I bought the Muck Men’s Pursuit Fieldrunner 3 years ago and I’ve considered several times buying a second backup pair for when this pair wears out. I love them that much. I wear them as a bowhunting, rifle hunting, and general purpose winter boot. They are perfect for anything between about 35 and 25 degrees if sitting and and down to 10 degrees if active.

The comfort and fit are outstanding. I forget I’m wearing knee boots and this from a guy who never liked ANY pull on boot because until the Mucks I found everything uncomfortable and cold.

They aren’t stand-on-ice pac boots, they are for keeping your feet dry and reasonably warm in cool to moderately cold temps or when active. I wore them all day last week at the farm and it never got above 15 degrees, but again I as out fixing stuff and powing my driveway, so I wasn’t sitting still.

Try the Mucks. If they feel good for just general fit, I’m betting you will love them for fall/winter/spring use. Obviously, not for heat of the summer use as a rain boot.

Grouse

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’d like to thank you all for the advice! IDO Rocks.

I spent most of the day driving around the East metro trying to find replacement boots. First observation: If you wear a size 7 or a size 15, you’re in business. Anywhere in between you better be ready to do some digging through the piles. I started off looking at Muck boots, and none of them fit. I have a very high instep and normally wear a size 10 shoe. I had to go up to a size 13 in Muck before my foot would go into the boot, and once it was in there now there was too much room. I tried several other brands and they were all worse. Discouraging. I ended up at Fleet Farm where they had LaCrosse Alpha Burly’s on sale for $90, and they fit me pretty well. They have 800 grams of Thinsulate, fit reasonable well, and I’ve had good luck with LaCrosse pack boots (My Ice kings have a lot of miles on them). So I’m ready for the rest of the winter and next Pheasant season too.

S.R.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I started off looking at Muck boots, and none of them fit. I have a very high instep and normally wear a size 10 shoe. I had to go up to a size 13 in Muck before my foot would go into the boot, and once it was in there now there was too much room.

I think I inherited your feet, Dad. I had that same problem with Muck Boots. I couldn’t get my foot inside! They make special sizes for wide width, but not high insteps… roll

Glad you found something you like, pheasant season is only 8 months away! I might have to check out some LaCrosse boots sometime. mrgreen

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Muck. they do go on sale occasionally. 5 straight years of chasing roosters in SD. some bitterly cold temps too. boots are still awesome

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.