Carp and Other Critters

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Got this carp on light line. I am learning to love fishing the river again with a light rod and a crawler.

On my way back to the parking lot trying to spot morels, I discovered the Garter snakes were out in mass. I spotted about 6+, 2 fairly big. If I spotted one, I noticed 1-3 others slithering away from the same spot.

Also saw me a toad. I reckon he may end up as a meal for one of the bigger garters if he don’t keep his wits about him.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That carp must of been a blast on light tackle. Sure have spent my fair share of time catching suckers and carp on the river banks this time of year. Now I just need to figure out that Morel thing.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Nice carp! I was lucky enough to find a batch o’ Morels in my back yard the other day. Now it’s time to go find some in their natural habitat.

stuart
    Mn.

Please bring all lost snakes to trailer #9 Everts resort.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Nice fish, lots of fun on light tackle.

That the Miss your on??

Guy at work says down by Fort Snelling, under the mendota bridge is good for carp, ever been there??

Al

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That be the Minnesota, but not Ft. Snelling. I have hit that area, but have not tried under Mendota. I’ve seen people fishing it too, and I bet that backwater does hold some nice carp through out the year.

Stuart, I would bring them down there, but I get all tweaky when I hold them. It doesn’t matter how small or that they are garters, when they strike, I wet myself. Actually, I don’t mind holding them, but I got tweaky because I was trying to take a picture at the same time, so I didn’t have my eye on them the whole time.

According to my girlfriend, they don’t bite.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Had a HUGE water snake swim to the boat yesterday on the Sippi. I am still twitching.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

“””””
    According to my girlfriend, they don’t bite.
    “””””

Ah….maybe not, when I was a lot younger I got bite by one of them, I of course thought I was going to die, but after about 30 minutes of my grandpareants looking for it they finally found it, they had a good laugh and mentioned it was a garter snake, least that’s how I remember it.

And yes I was poking at it, like any dumb kid would do…

I’m trying to get down to mendota after work, I’ll let ya know what I find.

al

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

…and they DO have teeth. May not be any worse than a largemouth bass’s teeth, but they are there.

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

just got the new hard drive in the pc… life without pc = …

any hoo.. i couldnt wait to post this pic for all you carp lovers..

within the last two weeks where ive been fishing these beast moved in.
    once hooked.. ok snaged.. in the tail and a twenty min battle with a small group of look – e – lou,s.. this beauty hit the shore.

although i dont target these guys.. they are well respected in my book for some tackle busting fun. … with a worn out arm after the battle i could not lift it with just one arm.. im guessing 20 lbs or so and a “pb” even though it was snagged but who cares it was fun

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That is a tank! It’s a lot harder bringing in those foul hooked fish where you don’t have the leverage to control them a little by turning their head.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I snagged a 2# cat in the tail once and thought it was my 10#+ fish! It was crazy, not to mention more than a little disappointing. Still cool to see how that works… Gratz on a real piggy caught the hard way!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.