What is done to dead carp shot with a bow&arrow?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve seen several carp hunter boats on my lake recently and was curious what do they do with the shot Carp? I see large plastic oil drums in the boat for the shot fish, but where do they expose of them at the end of the day?

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

I went with a friend from Wisconsin and he took them and burried them on his farm. He said other guys will find a farmer and put them in a manure spreader. Not sure what others do?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Some people smoke them, I’ve had it before not as terrible as one would think.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

they make good fertilizer

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Some people smoke them, I’ve had it before not as terrible as one would think.

That’s consistent with “Rootski’s General Theory of Edible Foods”. Basically….if you smoke it, add enough sugar to it, or deep fry it….you can pretty much eat anything

Bon Apetite!

jkratky
    Lino Lakes, MN

Don’t forget the “KETCHUP”

mrwalleye
    MN

I feed them to my neighbors cat

a1a

Bear Bait Scent Attractors.

jkratky
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

That thing can’t be real!

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

they make good fertilizer

There has got to be better use of our natural resources than this. Do we all hate these fish that much? I think roughfish have just as much right as gamefish do, especially our native species. And they are a blast to catch. It’s too bad that attitudes have to be this way.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I don’t know too many people that would want to eat a 25 pound carp with a 2.5″ fillet

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

I don’t know too many people that would want to eat a 25 pound carp with a 2.5″ fillet

I don’t either, so why kill it? Just for the fun of killing? At least with angling it can be released again and caught another day.

I’m not against harvest of roughfish but why do some feel they are doing us all a favor if they fill a dumpster or manure spreader with these fish? They are not doing me a favor.

I am not as protective of carp as I am of Buffalo, Redhorse & other native species. Usually a dumpster full of roughfish has Buffalo as well as carp in it.

Blue Sucker, Spotted Sucker, Greater Redhorse, River Redhorse & Black Buffalo are either endangered or threatened species. I happen to value these fish and, unfortunately, too few of us actually do value them.

You can harvest a 25 lb. carp for your garden if you want. However, a 25 lb. carp on the end of the line is a blast to catch and I don’t know of any walleye that could keep up.

I would like to see more respect for these fish. It’s just my opinion.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.