carp and sucker rigs

• predator2 jr
    rochester,mn

whats everyone using for hooks? what if any kind of weight are you using. looking to do some carp and sucker fishing this year so some help would be great

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I’m sure there are a lot of ways to go, and hopefully some of my fellow roughfishers will chime in.

My favorite sucker hook is a #8 octopus circle. I use just enough weight to hold bottom. Usually a few split shot is enough, but if I’m in current, I will step it up to compensate. I usually use a small chunk of crawler for bait.

For carp, I like somewhat larger hooks, but i stay with the circles most of the time. If they’re hitting really light, I might swap it for a j-hook or an octopus. I prefer a slip-sinker rig with a 1′ to 2′ leader. Load that hook with corn and you’re set. If they’re surface feeding, try a wad of bread on your hook, with no weight at all.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I almost always use a bottom rig in the spring and deeper water. Bottom rig meaning 3/4 oz or bigger sliding sinker with a swivel and a 6-20 inch leader of flouro and a #8-#4 Gama octopus circle hook.

I use this same setup for all bottom fishing and just adjust the size accordingly.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I might have to switch up to some octo hooks. I generally just use my catfish rig with a cheap Eagle Claw J hook (and a 3/4 oz egg above the swivel). I can’t tell you how many hooks have been rendered un-usable for another cast by big carp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.