Redhorse obserations…..at night!

• outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

On Friday night I met up with Paula a fellow fisher of the odds to fish for some cats. With no action from the cats I noticed some fish feeding on the bottom so after an hour of no bites I finally got a hit and got it to shore….about a 3 pound Silver Redhorse! There were lots of them scouring the bottom actively feeding. With only one fish caught and a long day on the road the next day I got to hit up another spot hoping for my hog sucker. No such luck but I tried out my observations from the night before and had a great night with many redhorse and a few walleyes. Many doubles and lots of time rebaiting and getting the lines back out. I was fishing less than 2 feet of water at dark and hammering Silvers, Goldens, and Shortheads.

They actively feed at night in very shallow water!

As I was leaving I saw my target fish in less than 6 inches of water…….My Hogsucker! I tried putting the worm directly under it’s mouth with not a movement of eating. I also saw very small redhorse that were side by side with the hogsuckers. This is the first time I have ever seen this behavior and it was so much fun I could have watched them much longer. I have never seen such small redhorse and it was very nice to know the reproduction is still going strong with my personal favorite species.

Here is two very small fish. 1 hogsucker and 1 redhorse possibly golden.

Here was my camp for the couple hours.

Aaron

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.