Fall Suckers

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone been targeting fall suckers? Been trying to get a few each of my last few trips out chasing shallow water walleyes. Been more miss for me than hit. One problem has been not having the right set up. To easy to just thread a crawler on the jigs I have been fishing for walleyes. Those suckers are master of pulling a crawler off a jig. Much better approach would be a small slip sink rig. Lets them suck the entire hook in very easily.

This one I caught north of aitkin last weekend. On the Mississippi. I call this a white sucker. Not sure what it is but they fight fantastic. Im guessing most run #3 to #5 pounds. We also get standard red horse in the 1 to 2# range. Little bait stealers they are. What I havent found yet this year are the northern hog nose in that area. Cool looking little brown cigar shaped sucker.

The croix around Osceola offers some great fall sucker fishing to. Nice mixed bag of suckers over there and always a chance at a sturgeon.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s a silver redhorse (at least according to my slightly-trained eye), and they are fun!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

If those fish would jump they would be one of the top game fish around. They’re FAST. You can hear your line cut through the water when they run. Awesome fish.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The suckers have saved more than one slow walleye trip on these small rivers. The action on them can be very fast. A few weeks back fishing with Jon Jordan he had a pile going where the jig would hit the bottom and one of those big silvers would be on. Arnie and I the week before where on the croix and a boat anchored up just down from us was having a blast with them. Almost always a fish on if not two or three.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

If those fish would jump they would be one of the top game fish around. They’re FAST. You can hear your line cut through the water when they run. Awesome fish.

? Walleye don’t jump!

I do agree though. Suckers are highly underrated.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I agree that the redhorse are really cool looking fish. Saved me from the almighty skunk many times.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I can see why horse is in the name. Might be more appropriately named mule. Those big silvers pull like a mule and just dont quit.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

And darn tasty too

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Quote:

Quote:

And darn tasty too

Absolutely nothing wrong with Sucker Nuggets, or Sucker Patties, or Sucker Balls! Enjoy the Fall Bite, when you find it!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

And darn tasty too

The pike and catfish seem to think so.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Quote:

And darn tasty too

The pike and catfish seem to think so.

I wonder how big of a sucker a 10# walleye would eat? Suckers seem to born adults, you never catch any small ones.

the pyromaniac

I got my first northern hog a few weeks ago! I love suckers, they fight like a pissed off wolverine, and you can make a better-tasting Baltimore crab cake with redhorse than you can with Chesapeake Bay blue crabs…..

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Doesnt look like Im going to get a hog nose this fall. They are a cool looking fish. Would of been fun to catch one again just to say I did it.

Might have to do one more walleye/sucker trip on the croix again this year. Maybe this weekend.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve caught a few northern hogsuckers. Not much fight in them, but they are really neat fish. Some call them “goth suckers” because of the black lip stick.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Looks more Emo to me. All this talk of suckers has me wanting to go soak some crawlers on the Mississippi below the CR dam.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for posting the pic Ralph.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.