Rod sleeves or tubes

• Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Hey guys havent posted in awhile
    But whats your view on rod sleeves and or tubes.Thinking about using pvc piping.

David Blais

Go on eBay and buy the mesh sleeves. Assuming you have a boat and just don’t want your rods tangled. I can put twice as many rods in my rod locker this way.

As far as PVC goes, I would worry that the vibrating and rubbing on the rod would damage it or leave a nasty scar.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

…or accidentally bending the guides on the lip when putting them away. Just use sleeves.

You talking about storing them without the reels? Is this long term storage or after every trip?

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

So i have a 7 foot rood locker in my boat which i can fit 5 rods in with the reels being small.so question is whats the best way to keep the eyelids from being damaged

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Use the sleeves. The meshed plastic is somewhat stiff so nothing will catch the guides…for the most part.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Not all of those sleeves are similar in quality. Try one or two before going all-in and buying one for every rod.

That’s the only way to go, though. I carry 12-16 rods in my locker with them. Never had an issue.

munchy
    NULL

The only issue with the mesh rod sleeves is if you have micro guides on your rods. They like to poke through the mesh making it sometimes difficult to install and remove sleeve. As well as raising the chance of damage to the guides.

Otherwise I love them. I have them on all of my ice rods as well as about half my open water rods and will be adding to the rest.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I use sleeves. Some of them won’t fit over the bigger eyes on spinning rods. I use Rod Gloves as they fit over the eyes on my Croix’s.

Bass_attack

The mesh sleeves are great. The only problem is treble hooks are attracted to them. I haven’t tried covering my baits while in the locker but might try this season with short sections of swim noodle.

catmando
    wis

For ice rods, i use golf club tubes,notch aways up on a end for the reel and your done. DK.

red89
    Hudson

I have “the rod glove” on all of my bass rods. Even if you don’t store your rods in a rod locker they still are nice to protect your rods.

FryDog62

I had a center rod locker with tubes on 2 boats spanning 7 years and never had damage to a rod. Have had side locker without tubes and use sleeves and have broken 3 tips in 4 years. Plus when I have trailered long distances and had rod sleeves, the reels clang together over bumps and I had a couple get pretty marred up and a bail wire bent. If your going to get sleeves, consider those that have the hood that also cinch up over the reel too. There’s a company out of Wisconsin that sells them for about $10, will see if I can find the link –

Here it is: “Combo Cover” $11.00 now
    http://www.anglerspride.com

chris
    northern Illinois

Wow I wish I would have seen the anglers pride stuff about 3 weeks ago, I already bought 2 sleeves but might be buying some of there’s anyway. I just have a cheap berkley rod holder screwed to the side of my jon boat and am slowly getting nicer rods and reels and want to keep them nice.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I’ve been using anglers pride sleeves for a long time. They were always at the madison fishing show and would make sleeves in whatever length you needed. They are nylon, rather than the braided stuff.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.