Rod/reel setup for lake trout

• carver
    West Metro

Looking try my hand on these this year.

Not sure if my current rods and setups are ok or if I need something bigger.

What ice setups for lakers should I be looking at?

– Where will you be fishing them? Some back lake lakers, or big water where 15+lbers are common?

– What is your current setups you would use?

– If you do upgrade, what’s your budget?

Lots of experienced guys on here, we’ll figure out what’s best for ya!

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I used a Jason mitchel Mack rod last year and it was strong enough but uncomfortable to hold for a long time. I swapped out for a 13 fishing infrared MH and like it much better. It’s a little longer and has a comfortable cork handle. I have a Mitchell 308 on one and a shimano sienna 2500 on the other.

carver
    West Metro

All my rods are DH customs, longboard, 7duce, some smaller dh ones for panfish, got some others. I have all ice reels on my rods.

Could I use my open water reels on a setup or is that too big?

Custom is ok but would rather get an over the counter rod since I’m not going to target them too much mainly back lakes where I am at now.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

For lakers on the ice, I use a summer walleye reel. 2500 is my preferred size. You’ll want a nice drag and plenty of line capacity. I have had no issues with 12-20lb braid and a 12-14lb fluoro leader. For perspective, all of my lakers have been from whitefish bay in the 2-15lb range.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

As always, pick the rod based on the lure you will be using. If you aren’t using anything like in the 1 oz weight, you really don’t need a Heavy powered rod unless that’s your preference. Typical Medium power will probably get the job done.

I prefer to use baitcasting reels so that’s an easy pick for me. Straight retail off the shelves a St. Croix Mojo Ice in either MH or H. There is a Fenwick Elite Tech in M power available too.

MnPat1

I would doubt your going lake trout fishing in Canada this winter. So I would hold off on a laker rod until I knew I was going to real laker territory. Your walleye rods will work for most mn lakes. If superior freezes over you would have a chance at a nice fish. Don’t hold your breathe.

Blake

what line would you use for a mh spinning setup for outside hole hopping?

Dan Baker

The Tuned Up Custom Rods LTP and Vulcan are designed for Lake Trout. The LTP is our stiffest rod and the Vulcan is a bit lighter so it can also work well for pike and large walleye. Both are fiberglass rods, perfect to absorb the big headshakes of lakers. Most people upsize their reels to 20 or bigger reels. A good drag is a must!
    Dan

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

What I use is a twenty to thirty pound braid with a four to five foot leader of fifteen pound fluorocarbon.

MnPat1

12 lb pline is what I use. It doesn’t dig into the ice as bad as braid, has some stretch and has better abrasion resistance. Mono is fine also. Cut off line that has been worn on the ice as needed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.