Rod for pitching jigs

• boos1906

Hey guys I’m looking for a rod for pitch jigs and minnows. This will mainly be used used on the Missouri River reservoirs. I am looking at getting either the st croix eyecon 7’0 medium light fast or st croix premier med light fast. Any recommendations on which is better? I would also do some jig trolling. Could I use these same rods for that? I’m going to have to buy 4 rods or so prefer to use the same ones for both pitching and jig trolling. Thanks

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am guessing you will be fishing from a boat since you mention trolling.
    Couple of questions:
    If you are buying 4 rods why have them all be the same?
    Why limit yourself just to St. Croix? They do make great rods.
    What is your budget?
    What size jigs do you use?

Between the two rods you are looking at I believe the Eyecon is the better one.

boos1906

Do you have any suggestions on other brands? I’d like to stay under 200 for sure but around 150 is better. I am fishing from both shore and boat. Thanks

I am guessing you will be fishing from a boat since you mention trolling.
    Couple of questions:
    If you are buying 4 rods why have them all be the same?
    Why limit yourself just to St. Croix? They do make great rods.
    What is your budget?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Do you have any suggestions on other brands?

If you are going to be fishing from shore you might want a shorter rod to cast around trees.
    Limit Creek makes a nice rod at 6’-9” medium light action called the smoothie. Nice rod for the $. I know many people who like this rod. There are many options available.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>boos1906 wrote:</div>
    Do you have any suggestions on other brands?

If you are going to be fishing from shore you might want a shorter rod to cast around trees.
    Limit Creek makes a nice rod at 6’-9” medium light action called the smoothie. Nice rod for the $. I know many people who like this rod. There are many options available.

Smoothie is a really versatile rod. Would very much recommend one. I use mine for pitching plastics, live bait, and throwing small cranks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.