Rod cases

• Michael Kaderabek

This subject has probably been discussed many times but what’s everyone using and what’s been bad? Have the old otter cases but looking for something different. Anyone have the scheels 2.0 case?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have the scheels 2.0. Great rod storage lots of tackle storage but definitely meant to be transported by vehicle. They are big and bulky just like any big rod box. But it offers great protection I can bring way to many set ups with me when I go places and again lots of storage. The Otter one is to over priced for what it is.

Ryan Lange
    Lewiston MN

I have had a hard gun case type before. Worked great for transporting in a car protected rods probably the best but took up a lot of room. Also was way big and bulky in the shack. I have settled on the Clam backpack right now. I can only get 3 rods in there at the most, but I can carry all my tackle and my helix fits in it so a lot less room is taken up. Most hard houses I have fished out of have a coat hook of some sort to hang it on and in my sled, it sits nice also. It is not perfect and maybe a little expensive but for me it seems to work the best.

Coletrain27

Yea I have the scheels case. This will be the third year with it and I like it a lot. Like bearcat said it’s a little bulky but holds a lot and keeps everything very secure. It works the best if you fold the reel handles but you don’t have to if your only carrying 4 setups.

I paid $99 when I got mine on sale. They sure have gone up in price now

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ve had the otter for 2 years now but finally loaded it up last weekend. Kinda bulky but seams the rods would make it through a nuclear war.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yup , 3 years ago black Friday I paid 99 bucks and free shipping. But I can say I haven’t had a single rod harmed while in transport in that case. It does its purpose.
    A shorter trip or 1 species only I use a smaller lakes and rivers case that holds 4 rods perfect 6 if need be. But I’m getting better at traveling lighter

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve had the otter for 2 years now but finally loaded it up last weekend. Kinda bulky but seams the rods would make it through a nuclear war.

They look very secure just spendy. But isn’t everything

B-man

I ran the Eagle Claw/Flambeau case for a couple seasons, it worked fine but was really bulky and access sucked.

I just picked up a 2B 36″ case and the Eagle Claw will be collecting dust waytogo

Fits the same 4 rods and 4 tackle boxes, but is all around easier to use.

Not only is it a little smaller, but I like that the rods are completely separate in their own tubes (no tangles) and you can pull a rod out in any position (except upside down).

Rods and tackle can go in and out while it’s vertical, on it’s side, or flat on it’s back.

With the hard cases they have to be set down flat on their back, and the lid has to have a place to go. You literally need multiple available square feet to use it (tough at times).

The 2B can be stood up in the sled or hanging off a hook, and everything is easy to get to, even in a one man portable with everything else going on (heater, graph, etc)

I’m never going back peace

I’d sell the Eagle Claw but the boys already claimed it as theirs lol

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

I’m trying to go as light as possible this year and just bought the Scheel’s “stealth” case — it weighs almost nothing, semi-rigid and hold 4-5 setups. The main thing I’m worried about is the zipper (it is pretty light-weight) but I figure it may be easier anyway just to use a couple of buckle straps if it goes bad. Only had it out a few times so far but so far so good.

Unlike other cases, I like that there is no-fuss no-muss in terms of slots, straps, plastic holders etc. It’s not perfect and there is some rod overlap past 4 rods, but the case relies entirely on the pressure of the two foam inserts smashing down on the reels to keep everything in place (so you have to open it flat/carefully.)

edit: actually i was at Scheel’s tonight, and they had a case in stock I hadn’t seen on a prior visit — the Double Combo — had it been in stock a week ago I would have given it serious consideration. It is notably heavier than the Stealth (also way lighter than most cases) but it holds 8 rods and seems to have a similarly simple approach.

Tlazer

I have ordered some fold down handles for my spinning reels off eBay and replaced the handles on my Okuma reels. It makes getting the reels into any case much easier. I have the Abu Garcia spinning reel and it came with a foldable handle, which gave me the idea to change the handles on my other rods. Will replace the handles on my summer rods as it is easier to get them in the rod storage with the handles folded.

Tony Polzin

As most have already said, The Scheels case is very durable and bulky. If you are looking for a case to keep in a portable while you are fishing, im not sure any hard cases are designed for that. I pull my rods and tackle boxes out that I know I’m going to need first and leave the case on the ice.

acarroline

Eagle claw hard case and 2B case.

Tyler Lefebvre

I just ordered this new case from Eskimo. The 2B one was previously on the top of my list but decided to give this ago instead, pretty similar features all around but I feel as though the gear storage is a little bit more versatile . They offer it in a 32” and 42” model.

Attachments:
    1. F75FFF4D-37C6-43F0-A44C-7FF385F1CEFF.jpeg

usmarine0352

I have ordered some fold down handles for my spinning reels off eBay and replaced the handles on my Okuma reels. It makes getting the reels into any case much easier. I have the Abu Garcia spinning reel and it came with a foldable handle, which gave me the idea to change the handles on my other rods. Will replace the handles on my summer rods as it is easier to get them in the rod storage with the handles folded.

Do you have a link for the handles?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Those Eskimo rod lockers look pretty nice. A quick search found a heck of a deal on them online at Acme Tools of all places.

FinickyFish

Those Eskimo rod lockers look pretty nice. A quick search found a heck of a deal on them online at Acme Tools of all places.

Darn you and this site. Guess I’m running to Acme quick…

Dan Baker

I really like my Scheels 2.0 case. I have the 42″ and am getting a 36″. They are a bit bulky, but they are rock solid and with the amount of money I have in custom rods, I don’t want to risk it.

One thing to be aware of, rod tubes and rod gloves are notorious for breaking rod tips. I would avoid them all together.

Michael Kaderabek

Thumbs up to the scheels 2.0 case. I just got mine and love it!! My old otter cases will be retired.

Reed

I got a lakewoods case and so far i like. It’s is big, like the Scheels case, but not as big. I got the medium sized bag and think I have 5 poles in there, longest being 40″. It also holds my finicky foolers and all my other gear. I just throw it onto my smitty so the bulk isn’t that big of a deal.

Ripjiggen

Question on the 2B bag? Does the 36in bag hold a true 36 in rod?

2. It looks like there is only 3 slots in the pictures on line. How are you getting 4 rods in there.

Tlazer

MotBach 3 Packs Black Universal Plastic Rotary Fishing Reel Power Handle Grip, Crank Arm Fishing Spinning Reel Replacement with Nonslip Wooden Grip

I liked these the best with the wood handle compared to ones with the plastic handle. So far these worked on all my reels I tried. The top posting was the link on Amazon. The next one was the description on Amazon. Hope this helps.

B-man

Question on the 2B bag? Does the 36in bag hold a true 36 in rod?

2. It looks like there is only 3 slots in the pictures on line. How are you getting 4 rods in there.

It holds 4 combos.

There’s 4 separate rod tubes that have alternating off-sets where the reel body hits (to keep things more compact and keep the reels/handles from hitting each other)

I just measured mine, it’s 39″ inside. So yes it will fit a 36″ rod, but make sure the where the reel is seated it will stop the rod tip from hitting the end of the tubes (and you’d only want to use the 36″ rods in the tubes with the shorter cut outs)

To be safe and to keep the rod/reel balanced, I’d suggest going with the XL if using 36″+ rods.

The best part of these cases is having access in the vertical position and not using a lot of space in the shack, the last thing you want to do is jamb a rod tip into a tube that’s too short.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20221221_020454320-scaled.jpg

usmarine0352

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”MotBach 3 Packs Black Universal Plastic Rotary Fishing Reel Power Handle Grip, Crank Arm Fishing Spinning Reel Replacement with Nonslip Wooden Grip” type=”text/html” width=”850″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_DszEst2E4BbcGE&asin=B08H896MZV&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe></div&gt;
    MotBach 3 Packs Black Universal Plastic Rotary Fishing Reel Power Handle Grip, Crank Arm Fishing Spinning Reel Replacement with Nonslip Wooden Grip

I liked these the best with the wood handle compared to ones with the plastic handle. So far these worked on all my reels I tried. The top posting was the link on Amazon. The next one was the description on Amazon. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Ripjiggen

Thanks B man. It looks like the xl only has three slots. At least in the pics online. I have 2 36 panfish rods that always have to be with me and a couple shorter ones so that should work. May need to make a stopper for those rods so the don’t slide up and break a tip.

Perch Patrol

Thanks B man. It looks like the xl only has three slots. At least in the pics online. I have 2 36 panfish rods that always have to be with me and a couple shorter ones so that should work. May need to make a stopper for those rods so the don’t slide up and break a tip.

New for 2022. The XL now holds 4 cases.

Perch Patrol

New for 2022. The XL now holds 4 rods.

Ripjiggen

I don’t read well I’m a picture book guy… jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m almost talked in to a 2b case for my lighter travel case. I have the scheels and lakes n rivers hard case but wouldn’t mind a back pack style that holds 4 rods.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.