A heads up !

• GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

I see a LOT of guys using thier electric trolling motors to drag thier baits/lures etc up or downstream on the Rock above Kosh. It’s nothing new and I’ve seen it done for years. I’ve always wondered why it was not considered trolling. On occasion I have asked few of these guys if they were’nt trolling then what where they doing ? NOT to be a smart A** but to try and find out if indeed I was missing out on somthing regulation wise.
    Some said they were slipping the current , some did’nt know but knew they were’nt trolling.
    Ok , fine , whatever. I was just being curious.

After being on the river last week and seeing afew guys dragging jigs with thier trolling motors I decided to send the DNR an E-mail asking if that was considered trolling or not. Again just to settle my own curiosity more than anything.
    I got a reply from Joseph Hennessy from the DNR a few days later. He said he had discussed what I had described with thier law enforcement policy expert and agreed that what I have been seeing was indeed trolling and thus prohibited on the Rock above Lake Koshkonong.

He went on to say that an electric motor may be used to hold one’s position , but never to move a bait or lure in water where motor trolling is prohibited.

So just a heads up because I see a lot of folks doing this. Nobody needs a ticket when thier out trying to have a bit of fun fishin.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Saw this last time I was out. Some people know they are trolling but basically tell you to mind your own business. I have already call the tip line. They really want to stop the illegal activities on the rock but are very understaffed. They have a position request for the jefferson area that has been open for two years.

If you can write down the boat number of the folks doing this they would appreciate it and would follow up on it. Not to be a narq but the guys who are illegal know it and those who don’t appreciate the heads up.

D

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Also saw a number of guys trolling on Friday, and I mean long-lining. Pointed it out to them, and they stopped…my guess is that some of this is ignorance, not that Mr. DNR- man will overlook it on that basis. But it has been my understanding that you may use your electric or other motor while moving downstream, to keep your jig vertical while slipping down. If that’s not legal, then just about everyone fishing out there is violating unless they are anchored, drifting and pitching, or drifting and dragging without any motor assist. Any clarifications on this??

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

Using your electric to position your boat ( like when vertical jigging ) is allowed. Your not using the motor to present your bait/lure as you would if you were trolling.
    When trolling your relying on your trolling motor to present or move your bait. With vertical jigging the current is basicaly presenting or moving your bait while the trolling motor keeps you in position. It’s a fine line but not really if you read the regs.
    Both of you hit the nail on the head seeing others trolling thier jigs/lures/baits downstream. THAT’S what cheeses me. It IS an effective way to fish eyes on the river. I’ve caught some nice fish casting and draging jigs etc. through the years. But in that same time span I’ve also seen quite a few NICE fish taken by guys TROLLING jigs/baits. Fish they more than likely would’nt have caught unless they trolled em up. Yea , nice fish but Big deal. Too bad you had to violate to get it.
    All they have done is wreck sombody elses chance at a nice fish by violating and THAT sucks !

The best one I saw was last fall when some dude was heading downstream right through downtown Fort pulling planer boards. Right under the bridges and everything. Now that takes some stones to pull that stunt !

I have NO PROBLEM reporting stuff like this. You want to call me a narq or whatever ? Go for it , I could’nt care less. I just want an even playing field for EVERYONE when it comes to fishing OR hunting.

Off my soap box….. for now. LOL

So they were handing out tickets by the mouth were they ? GOOD ! It’s about time ! Was it the DNR or the Sherrifs Dept ? I see the Sherrif patrol the river a fair bit but hav’nt seen a warden since Mike Cross moved on a year or so ago. Heck , I don’t even know who our warden is around here since Cross left.
    Personaly , I would’nt mind them making the lower Rock above Kosh no wake. Sombody is gonna get smoked down there one of these days with all the boat traffic. I’ll fish down there right after ice out and again in late fall but that’s it. When you end up spending more time watching out for other boats than watching your line it’s just not worth it to me.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Pulling board though fort!! Now that took some stones.

They told me it was the DNR as some. Some jet skiers told me they got ticket going too fast around the fishermen. It was interesting. This outing group of about 7 jet skies went no wake from the bar launch to Kosh. They were afraid of another ticket.

D

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

Yea , I was fishing from shore tossing cranks when I saw this guy and his kid come out from under the main street bridge. He plopped a couple boards out and away he went. Past the launch , under the tresstle and around the bend. I was suprised he did’nt get one or both borads hung up as it’s pretty snaggy through town but he did’nt. Actualy it was kind of funny looking having never seen boards pulled through town before.

The bend above the stink pipe is another spot I’ve seen many near misses in the past. Folks come rippen down from the Blackhawk boat club full bore all the time. Some are driving some fairly large boats too. Sooner or later there’s going to be an accident there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.