• diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Got on the water just as the sun peaked over the horizon and motored out to Kosh. Water temp was 80 degrees at the rock pile. Tolled shad raps, husky jerks, and thundersticks to no avail. Speeds 1.7 to 2.8. Decided to slow things down and dragged crawler harnesses. Again zippo.

Decided to try the springs by the mounds thinking the water should be cooler. Water temp there 76 to 78. Trolled crank baits again. No takers.

Motored up the river to the pipe and the holes downriver. Has some small nibbles on crawlers and leeches but not eyes. Water temp in the river an amazing 80 to 83 degrees.

Algae bloom still in effect and numerous dead carp in the lake and river.

Off the water by 1000. Too hot.

Sorry that this report is a big zero but that is fishing (at least for me lately ). Spoke to many fishing and only heard only one walleye caught by the mouth out by Blackhawk Island.

I think it is time for me to start night fishing some of my other deeper favorite lakes.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

That’s the Rock, for you…..it seems to be a love-hate relationship. I love it in the spring, hate to leave it in the summer, but do, and back at it in the fall. We’re gonna have to follow Jeff around to see why he loves it all year long.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Yeah you are probably right about leaving the lake alone in the summer. The bad thing is I have had some great luck in the past in the heat of summer during early mornings and evening. Never this bad though. I have never seen so many dead carp. Makes me wonder about the O2 levels.

In the meantime I could follow Jeff around but all the does is get me frustrated . I have witnessed too many times Jeff (and kids )pounding the eyes while others (including) me just sit and watch. Jeff can put the time in that I wish I should have when I was single

Maybe I should have catfished like everyone else by the time i left.

D

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Guys I haven’t been out lately but a friend of mine say he’s still catching big fish in the river.

My son is into baseball now and doing great. It’s hard not to go watch him play ball now. They won a big tourney last weekend.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Cool Bees Jeff. Congrats to your son on a job well done.

Make sure your buddy isn’t confusing carp and walleye. You know they are both brown (sometimes)

I’ll be heading to some of the lakes nearer to home for some night eyes. Gotta at least see a walleye this year.

D

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Darn they were carp.

I would go fishing if I were you and use 1/8oz jigs with leeches or crawlers, half crawler works best. Dragging is working the best, you have to use your trolling motor to go down river because of very little current. There is a fine line here, trust me your not trolling in the river just using your trolling to SLIP down the river.

Big eyes to be had. The hotter the better, Aug should be awesome.

Work the same spots as spring and fall

One other key point is to try both sides of the river, start at 5 to 6 fow.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

I tell you Jeff, every time you reply or post a message I say, well if Jeff can do it I know I can . Honestly I’ll probably keep at it on the rock later but I will stay local for a couple of weeks. Driving an hour each way gets a little old when you have to come home with no fish and a smart mouthed wife

I know I can catch at least a bluegill on Pine and Nagawicka

D

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Was hosted by Diesel on the Rock yesterday We launched at the Riverfront bar about noon or so, and dodged pontoons, jet skis, cigarette boats, and numerous other rude boaters….a few bikinis, too. Seemed that most fishermen, however, were courtewus, and slowed down some when approaching others, and kept their distance. We actually had a couple zip by us within 20 feet or so, and saw a couple pulling tubers, zig-zagging around all the fising boats. Anyway, reminds me why I stay away from here till fall, except on occasional weekdays …with my venting done, here’s the fishing report. As always, Diesel’s fine instinct to find fish came thru once again. Took us a bit to find a pattern, and a strange one it was. We ended up boating about two dozen eyes, with three legals in the mix, a few pike, and a goat. After avoiding areas of heavy boat traffic near the mouth, and not getting any fish or hits , we tried the break right in the middle of all the traffic, and caught most of our fish in 4 fow, while dodging traffic. Wouldnt have believed it, but it was pretty steady once we caught on. No big fish, though, and the 3 legals were just shy of 16 inches.
    Entertaining afternoon, Diesel…thanks. My turn next time.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Thanks for the kind words, company, and good time. Enjoyed the trip. I will post some of the pics I took a little later.

JP thanks for all the advice (past, present, and future) on fishing the rock . Given that you have taught Ed and I a lot we were able to put it to good use and dial in a presentation that worked for us.

DC

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

You guys are more than welcome. I’m just happy you had a great time. I know you guys put on lots of miles and spend lots of money to get to the Rock. So anything I can do to put a smile on your face I will do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.