Zumbro

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I hit the lake for a couple hours this morning and had zip luck finding any crappies to hit hard enough to land. No sunfish watsoever. Smallies seemed to like my crappie stuff though and 5 hit the dock with one other getting off.

Junebug Culprit Paddletails did the trick on the smallies. The closest I could come to a crappie was one that hit on a Gulp minnow but fell off before hitting the wood. Again, the crappie hits were tremendously light….just a slight tip to a float that was very hard to distinguish from the wind.

The smallies hit the paddletails with a fever and would not so much as tap another plastic, or color, or the Gulp toys.

The water isn’t too bad right now. The upper lake is ice free, but a local who has been out in a boat mentioned that there is some large debris at mid-lake and that won’t move on until the ice at the lower end is gone. That shouldn’t be long.

SandyPoint access is still locked up so there is no entry there. The Pondy might be open but then there is the debris thing. Fishermans is open but be mindful of the $5.00 fee that one is required to pay BEFORE launching and fishing or towing will be done.

Given another week and things will start to take off on the lake. The water is still pretty cold, but will heat up with the sun we’re seeing. Afternoons might be the best for fishing right now.

For those who have not been on the lake since after the flooding in September, you need to be very cautious on the upper end of the lake, especially in and around the Fisherman’s Inn area. While the water level is up to summer pool now, sandbars exist in places now where on Labor Day there was 8 feet of water. One might be surprised where they can run aground now so take it easy.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the report, Tom.

If anyone has an update on whether or not the Ponderosa launch is clear of ice please share. Thanks!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was out again yesterday and thought about a ride up that way after fishing, but didn’t get it done. I’d imagine that after this weekend it will be open. I’m hoping the heavy rain that is forecast doesn’t mess the water up…its really coming around right now.

sbr_it

I’ll try and take the scenic route home today to Oronoco and post an update on the Pondarosa ramp this evening.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The ice is gone and the Pondy is open, but there might be a lot of trash in the water yet.

I fished again this morning and had little luck finding crappies in numbers. Size was an issue with those caught too. No sunfish whatever.

Late-day may be a better bite with the sunny days we’ve been seeing, but mornings have sucked.

sbr_it

Quote:

The ice is gone and the Pondy is open, but there might be a lot of trash in the water yet.

I fished again this morning and had little luck finding crappies in numbers. Size was an issue with those caught too. No sunfish whatever.

Late-day may be a better bite with the sunny days we’ve been seeing, but mornings have sucked.

Yep, about a half dozen trucks & trailers in the parking lot and two boats that had just come out. Didn’t stop and talk at all as I had the 5 year old along and we were on the late of getting home.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was back out yesterday for a couple hours and had a few hits with three crappies and a smallie that hit the hand. The fish I caught came on plastics being fished at depths of 5 feet or better over about 9 feet of water, so the fish are staying fairly deep yet.

The water temp at 6 feet yesterday started at 47 degrees at 7AM. With the broken sunshine we had all day it maybe warmed a little. I’ll bide my time until the temp hits 52 down at about 8 feet and then get serious.

A lakeshore resident who stays abreast of the fishing mentioned that the fish being taken from boaters were coming best from deeper, main channel water and that they hadn’t really begun to show any serious interest in the shoreline’s first break. The 47 degrees would support the fish’ current whereabouts.

The loons seem to have moved on and I saw several Osprey yesterday…probably just two reatedly since there is a nesting pair on the lake. Eagles have been common sights. Turkeys are gobbling almost non-stop.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.