Lake Zumbro

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve made a few trips to the lake for some shore fishing in open water with some success on crappies and sunfish, but today the tide had turned with a significant rise in water level and the amount of debris is outrageous. Today the open water extended well beyond the shore across from Fishermans Inn and points downstream.

There were three people on the ice this morning. No idea how they were doing, but I’d guess that by the end of the weekend the fishing from the ice will be done on that end of the lake.

The water came up about 6 inches while we fished this morning and we were there for less than an hour.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Thanks for the quick update on the lake status, things are gonna get worse before it gets better thats for sure

tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

There were three people on the ice this morning. No idea how they were doing, but I’d guess that by the end of the weekend the fishing from the ice will be done on that end of the lake.

She was slow on the ice. I maybe marked 8 fish. 1 crappie and a couple other hits and spits.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Trumar, I’m sure Silver Creek behind you is running pretty good. Cascade behind me is moving fast and has some extra water in it, but its dropped a wee bit from yesterday with the cooler temps. The river Coming out of Silver Lake is still running higher than normal, but not flooding type high.

We could see another small spike in local flows given the temps forecast for the weekend. That could erase ice access on the Zum, especially on areas being accessed thru Fishermans, but the shore the people are fishing seems to hold ice pretty well even with open water running down the opposite shore. Access, or should I say, sensible access, is the key.

Another thing, the areas around and down stream from Fishermans will be subject to this hard current we have now. Because so many of the good areas during late ice are eddy areas, fishing will get pretty compacted to seams along those eddys or in areas where the water can settled down. We had 35.4 degrees on the lake yesterday for a water temp in open water at 4 feet, so the water is still cold. The term spot on spot fishing becomes a real challenge to locate where the fish can be found and without the benefit of being able to read the water, this will likely mean a ton of holes….You can’t read ice. lol

This will be only a minor setback on the Zumbro. Two weeks and we’ll be able to hunt way more effectively.

sbr_it

Need to get my new light kit installed on the trailer and the Lowrance X51 graph I got from a coworker mounted in the boat and I’ll be ready to go.

Andy

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Not really a reply about the lake but check out the river in the Falls. Viewed from the river road.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The gravel to Hambone must be covered in places too?

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Ya Tom, the field below your old deer hunting grounds is all under water!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was at the shop in Red Wing today and took that route. Tonight the river was down a couple feet from this morning. The last thing any of those people down in the Falls or H needs is to have to contend with this crap all over again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.