Lake Zumbro Update

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have always told my kids and grandkids that the only accepted reason for missing a day of school is that they went fishing. With that in mind one of my grandsons and I spent that day on Lake Zumbro. We checked out the normal spots where we had caught fish the time before and they were not there. That told me that fall fishing and fish locations have completely kicked in. We found the fish over deep water that has some structure in that area.

We were vertical jigging, with very little movement of the jig, with a waxie on a Mini-Mite jig. We had a small splitshot about a foot above the jig. This would allow the jig to get down in the water quicker, yet be up on the line above the jig far enough to allow the light weight jig to easily move around some which helps to attract fish. The waxie provided the needed scent and taste to hook the fish. We were doing what I call straight line jigging with the splitshot above the jig. We were catching both crappie and bluegills. The crappie were a mixture of real nice ones and smaller ones. Most of the bluegills were large which sure felt good on light and ultra light rods.

The fishing should continue to get beter and better as we move more into fall. The water has cleared up better now with alot of the logs and sticks being washed down river. Please remember to only keep what you will eat and let the big ones go so they can keep produciung more big fish.
    Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

On a different subject I spent both Thursday and Friday on pool 4 in the Red Wing area fishing for saugers along with my son Nate in different boats. With the high water they weren’t in their normal spots for this time of year in numbers. Most fish caught were not the bigger ones we normally would catch this time of year. The warm weather sure made for nice days just to be on the water. If you head down there to fish keep your eyes out for wood floating down river. Alot of people were having a hard time catching fish but if you keep in mind some of the locations found in the springtime when we have high water like we do now you will catch some fish.

Thanks, Bill

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the report. Sounds like fun out there. Great that you got to get out and mentor your grandson.

Nice work on your catching success too

Chris

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Nice update Bill, thanks ! Glad to hear the water is clearing back up and fishing is starting to improve. Nothing like those crisp days out there with fish that are willing to cooperate.

mstrumar

Great post Bill,

It was nice to meet you up at Saugerama!!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Just a caution on Zumbro. A friend took all 3 blades off his 70Hp last week in an area that he’s been thru a bunch of times. Something submerged from the flood.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Probably a portion of a dock. As I understand it there is a lot of pieces and parts of things un-accounted for.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.