Weekend Report

• joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Well this weekend was a tough weekend of fishing. Saturday I went to west newton in the morning, the fish were small and hitting extremely light. Moved to Wabasha Marina and ran tip ups with no luck. Sunday I hit Foster for a couple of hours and did ok. The trout were shallow, and in the deep water you would hit small gills,crappies,and perch as fast as you could drop your pimple. I noticed the action all around to be a little tougher this weekend. Tight lines #5

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Joe,

I did something that I hadn’t done in 15+ years today. I went fishing at “the long walk” between Nelson and Alma. It was a slow bite, but did manage some better gills. Now that I remember why they call it the long walk, I think I will wait another 15+ years before doing it again. I’ll let all you young guys go out there!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Mike, guess what? You know what I’m going to ask so spill the beans Bud! lol. Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Well Bill, let me guess?
    Water was 2 ft., teardrop jigs tipped with waxies, and the fish could be at any point in the water column. A slow jiggle and pause while lowering the jig worked best.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

hof
    Rochester, MN

Had a chance to play hooky for most of today and went to the Nelson area. Caught these fish in 3 ft. of water. Best bait was a purple ratso tipped with a waxie. The smallest bluegill was 7 1/2 inches – these were the nicest fish I’ve got through the ice so far this season.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Looks like someone had fun today. And thanks for the info along with the pic. Keep them reports coming. Thanks, Bill

newt
    Pillager, MN

Nice bunch of fish. How do you like to prepare your sunnies? Do you leave the skin on? Scale ’em? Fillet ’em? My brother-in-law from cajun country deep fried a batch of sunnies that were gutted, heads cut off, and scaled with the tails and dorsal fin left on. He said the tail and fins had the texture of potato chips. Well…. I’ll try most anything once. They were actually pretty good! I was worried about the rib cage but the oil seemed to soften everything up so it was edible. No fishy taste either.

hof
    Rochester, MN

I fillet the sunnies. My wife deep fries them in a batter. They are absolutely delicious!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Hey Mike, nice bunch of fish. Good to see that things are starting to look up. I will be in Rice lake WI for the holidays so look for my post on the wisconsin forum. I think I will have to get back for the weekend and fish you know where! Tight lines #5

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.