Foster Arends trout

• hof
    Rochester, MN

Just thought I would give a quick report on trout being caught in Foster Arends Lake. Larger fathead minnows fished below a bobber about 4-5 deep seem to be catching the trout.
    I tried fishing there for about an hour late this afternoon and caught one 13 inch rainbow and a small crappie.
    I have heard of several 20+ inch trout caught there in the past couple weeks.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Sneaking away again hey! Thanks for the heads up. When I get all this stuff I have going on right now finished this guy is going to do more fishin than I have lately. Keep us posted Bud. Picked up a new Fish Trap Scout and am going to upgrade my flasher before ice fishing gets here so I’m ready. Time to get back into ice fishing and more open water fishing too. Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Went to Foster Arends lake for a couple hours late today and had fun. Caught and released 2 rainbow trout (12 & 14 inches), 3 small crappies and 2 small largemouth bass. Everything was caught using fathead minnows suspended 4 ft. below a bobber. A few trout were also being caught on power bait.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Kenjack

Thank you for the update! I tried Foster Arends for the first time Sunday. Used fatheads as suggested ,however, I apparently need to go to a “How to set the hook on a rainbow trout” seminar. Had allot of good strikes but it didn’t matter whether I tried to set right away or wait a longer period I came up with air except for a small crappie and a tiny bass. I also changed hook sizes.

I’ll give it another try before it freezes over, but if someone wants to share local knowledge I would appreciate it!

Ken

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hi Ken,

I also missed several bites. I had the impression these could have been small fish, but who knows? One thing that helps is to hook the minnow with the point of the hook facing toward the head of the minnow, instead of crossways through the middle of the minnow. This little trick will often improve your hooking percentage when fishing for crappies as well.
    Another possibility is to downsize bait to crappie size minnows or use a small piece of powerbait.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Kenjack

Thanks for the advice Mike. I shall try the alternative hooking method. It looks like I might be trying it for the first time through the ice, however. YIKES

Ken

Kenjack

Yah Baby!!!! The alternative fathead rigging method works! Thanks. I snuck out Tuesday late afternoon(don’t tell anybody) and landed 2 nice size Rainbows on 2 huge fatheads. I might be able to try again late this week.

Thanks Again.

Ken

northeastern
    Rochester, MN

After reading Mikes post I decided to try my luck during my lunch hour at Foster Arend. Well not having a lot of time ment that I wasn’t going to go get bait (sorry Mike) so I tried a suspending #5 shad rap. I nailed a couple of beauties in about 30 min using a slow jerk retrieve. Maybe tomorrow I’ll try bait because its so dam cold working a lure with that wind in your face.

hof
    Rochester, MN

If this weather stays cold, we won’t have many more days before the ice comes on Foster Arends! Ice fishing on that little pond can be a lot of fun.
    Thanks for the report!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.