Fishing St. Charles area

• nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey guys just wondering if anyone could share any info on areas to shore fish around the St. Charles area need something to do in the evenings before Bow Hunting starts
    any info would be greatly appreciated,

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

stick with me on this one:
    west of town on the gravel road (by the skate park?) there is a bridge that goes over the river. If i remember right there was always a couple people fishing around that bridge and also downstream. I have tried farther upstream,past magnum, but could never catch anything. The bridge spot always had people by it so I never got the chance to try it.
    Good luck it’s a nice area.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Nate,

I don’t think you can get your boat in very many of the trout streams around there…
    Anyway, get one of the new trout maps put out by the DNR. It will show you a bunch of possibilities close to St. Charles.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

fish2live
    hampton,mn

go to white water in alba go to the i think is a old turkey proccessing plant and head down that road it will bring you to the river from there there are too many spots to name but, the first bridge you come to is pretty decent. if you follow it till the camp sites that is also good. lots of trout rainbows, browns and some brookies. throw #7 raps for the big boys or just drift crawlers in the riffles and you will catch something. hope this helps and good luck.
    oh ya make sure you have a trout stamp.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Get a trout map from the DNR [it shows alot of streams] and also buy a trout stamp so you are legal on the streams. Care to fish Foster Arends some night or Lake Zumbro? Or we could even do Chesterwoods. Dad

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Mike, does the DNR provide the maps to bait shops [HOF] in SE MN or does a person have to go out to the DNR Office to get one?
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

They gave me a case (which is long gone) and gave me the impression that they were out of them at that point – several months ago. I’m not sure if they have any at the DNR office, but am fairly sure that no baitshops have any left.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the quick reply Mike.
    Thanks, Bill

rickyfishes
    Southeastern MN

Nate,

If it is evening trout fishing you are interested in, why don’t you just give me a holler. I only live 3 miles away from ya. Otherwise, I can just show you some of the local haunts. I know you are a big fish hunter; so you know the farther you stay away from the crowds the better your odds.

-Richard

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Hey Nate,

If you email or call the DNR and ask them, they will send you a copy of the trout stream maps in the mail (free of charge). Whitewater area would be my first choice, but there are a couple smaller streams right along 14 that I’ve caught fish out of before also.

If you want to get on the river some evening, just hop on 14 and head down my way…..We could even do some BASS fishing

Ya only got 3 weeks though, then it’s huntin time…….just let me know

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Thanks guys for all the replies I knew ya all would answere my questions and being new to the area I had no clue where to go.
    Jake and richard you have mail

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

The trick to WW is very simple. The farther out of the park you get, the better the fishing is. Trust me on this one. Also, there are special regs on the NBWW and the Middle Branch WW (upper section upstream of the park), so read your DNR maps and pay attention to the yellow signs.

After September 15 ALL trout streams are catch and release period.

There’s plenty of water to fish in the WW .

Take care,
    D.A.

Art

Another spot about 15 miles south of St. Charles is the Root River. The smallie fishing is awsome right now through Sept. Its just like fishing the Miss. as you can catch a lot of different fish. I’m working out of the area right now so I’m only home on weekends but if you want more info. let me know. The deer hunting is also fantastic in this area and a lot less pressure. I can get you on some private land that has very little hunting pressure if you are interested.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.