Regulating Zumbro River Smallies

• lew
    Kasson, MN

There was a very interesting article by John Weiss in the Thursday evening Post-Bulletin about the how a local organization can have an affect on the decision making of the DNR. Specifically discussed was the involvement of the local Southeast Minnesota Smallmouth Alliance (SEMSA) involvement in implementing a catch and release regulation for the plunge pool below the Lake Zumbro reservoir.

Now I was an active member of SEMSA during that time period and I understand why we felt it was necessary to include the plunge pool in the catch and release regulations on the Zumbro River. Specifically during the fall of the year the plunge pool becomes a huge barrel filled with fish and the concern of members of SEMSA was that the smallie population would be decimated by a relatively small group of individuals. Further, SEMSA sees these regulations as an opportunity to create a truly world class fishery. The Zumbro River would become a destination for people wishing to catch smallmouth bass of 18 inches or larger.

The plunge pool is not solely the wintering home of smallmouth bass, but of many other species. By regulating the removal the smallies does not mean that fishermen will not be able to take fish home when fishing the plunge pool. Just leave the smallies behind.

Mr. Weiss’ article refers to one suggestion to regulate by using slot limits. Smallies under a certain size could be kept. Any smallies over that size would have to be returned to the river. If a slot were created, would you also want to have the opportunity to mount your trophy fish?

For the sake of discussion, how do you feel about the catch and release regulations of smallmouth bass below the Lake Zumbro reservoir? With the restrictions of access to the plunge pool created by the private owner of Mac’s, does it even matter anymore?

In this writing, I am not speaking on behalf of SEMSA. I have not been an active member for some time for reasons not related to SEMSA, it’s membership or it’s agenda. They are a fine group of individuals gathering with the specific desire to make smallmouth bass fishing in Southeastern Minnesota the very best it can be. If you have questions about SEMSA feel free to drop me an email and I will be happy to answer what I can or redirect your question to those people in the know.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I would hope they would change it to 1 over 20″ or something to that affect. If you caught a trophy you would have the choice to keep it or return it.

Art

I remember when they first started coming out with catch and release. I was against it for awhile until I started seeing the results. With todays fishing pressure I think it is very much needed along with slot limits. I live close to the Root river below Chatfield and would like to see some restrictions put on parts of the Root. Have seen people with stringers of smallies. I think there has to be common sense used about it but we do need the restrictions for the few.

mark p
    Rochester

Smallmouth bass aren’t prolific enough and don’t grow fast enough to provide a consistently good fishery without very protective regulations. This is especially true in river systems like we have here where low winter flows and silt choked floods (killing fish or smothering eggs) can take a large toll on the populations.

Personaly I’m very happy with the catch and release regs, and would support protective regulations on the root also. I know there are people who don’t really consider it a successful outing if they don’t take home enough fish for a meal. Hopefully there are enough other opportunities to catch fish for the frying pan in other rivers or lakes in the area that those people can be satisfied too. I just don’t understand why anyone would want to eat a smallmouth. There are too many other fish that are much better tasting. Sunfish, crappies, and walleyes to name a few that are available here in SE MN. There are even plenty of trout streams where fish can still be kept. Although I have to admit I wish there were less of those too.

I’m glad the DNR has decided to try to create fisheries for those people who are interested in catching more and larger fish. Just creating a sustaining fishery isn’t what many people want the goal of the DNR to be. The new trout regulations and the smallmouth regulations work to satisfy one portion of the fishing population while still leaving fishing opportunities for those who want to keep some fish.

seanmn

I agree with Newt on this one…..And I feel that for the most part were in need of more special regualtions, especially in this area. I fished at the alma dam on memorial day weekend and there was a large group of fishermen catching white bass, I know the white bass population is very plentiful but the way these people were fishing you’d think they were starving and these fish were their last link to survival (my only thought was they probably fish this way for all species) I even saw one guy throw a seine net out a few times….. I do keep a few fish for the frying pan every now and then but we probably need to remember at times that future generations might enjoy fishing as well.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I personally would like to see it stay catch and release only and without live bait to turn it into and help keep it a trophy fishery. Besides bass are a sport fish and we have walleyes and panfish for those who want some fish to eat. The fight of a smallie is great on the end of your line. Hope to keep it that way.
    Thanks, Bill

lew
    Kasson, MN

I would like to thank all those that replied. I guess I’m a bit surprized that a possible change to a Zumbro River regulation didn’t bring about more comment. It could be that the majority of posters tend to fish more lakes and ponds rather than wade the area streams. It will be interesting to see just what the DNR will do next.

davebmork
    Hayfield Mn

I think the state of Mn needs to cover the bass size limit across the board large or smallmouth Bass both. The regulation should be catch and release only with 1 bass over 22 inches that could be kept. It seems every year I witness folks coming off the lake with stringers of bass that they just caught. These fish need to be protected especially the trophy waters that this state has. With good regulation anglers can still keep a trophy and catch great numbers of big fish. The meat harvesting stringer fisherman would be eliminated. The state Muskie regulations are a great example of how this system works.

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I live close to the Root river below Chatfield and would like to see some restrictions put on parts of the Root. Have seen people with stringers of smallies. I think there has to be common sense used about it but we do need the restrictions for the few.

I couldn’t agree more.

Just because one guy complains and gets some names on a petition (which is the right way to go about changing somehing, or at least get the ball rolling) is no reason for the DNR to go out and change it immediately. It will, however, probably, prompt some type of public comment/input perid. That is the time to “rally the troops” per say to get the attendance at those meetings, letters, phone calls, e-mails, and even a counter-petition going to negate any attempt to open up a regulation that is obviously working.

I read the article, and I se both sides of the issue; however, I think Mr. Kehoe is a bit self-serving in his attempts to change the regulation, and his line about having to drive all the way to Canada instead of 15 minutes from his house was pathetic. Take a picture and put the trophy fish back in the river. That’s why he becamne that size in the first place!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.