LakeZumbro – Anyone Been Out?

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Anyone been out? I haven’t been yet but getting closer. Been dealing with a backflow water problem from the bathroom and laundryroom. They think it was caused by a 6 foot freeze from winter. Sure glad I know a good drywall man and painter. Another couple of weeks and should be on the water unless I figure a day to sneak out. Once the main level as far as my work is done then its fishin time. Mike, Nate, start sharpening hooks.
    Thanks, Bill

JakeOliver
    NULL

yep! I’ve been going to mac’s almost every single day now and I have been catching good size catfish, LM/SM bass, walleye and a few northern! i tie a sinker about 10-15 inches up the line and then tie a black floater jig with a white eye, hook a minnow up by the tail and throw er’ out! I keep myself occupied by casting my musky set up and have actually already caught a 48″ inch tiger! The fishing is great!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

….”i tie a sinker about 10-15 inches up the line and then tie a black floater jig with a white eye, hook a minnow up by the tail and throw er’ out! I keep myself occupied by casting my musky set up and have actually already caught a 48″ inch tiger! The fishing is great!….”

This is an excellent recipe for keeping the local warden occupied. Can’t have two lines in use at the same time on inland waters.

goosehunter

Quote:

yep! I’ve been going to mac’s almost every single day now and I have been catching good size catfish, LM/SM bass, walleye and a few northern! i tie a sinker about 10-15 inches up the line and then tie a black floater jig with a white eye, hook a minnow up by the tail and throw er’ out! I keep myself occupied by casting my musky set up and have actually already caught a 48″ inch tiger! The fishing is great!

isnt the season closed for everything except panfish? except the missispoi of course

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Catfish are legal along with crappies/pannies. Trout now too. Can’t target the other species though.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That’s right. If walleyes hit they have to go right back in the drink. I get smallies a lot in the spring before their season opens while crappie. I don’t target them but they hit. Fish don’t know seasons.

goosehunter

so is it legal to let a rig sit on the bottom and catch whatever bites as long as you say your trying to catch catfish or crappies?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

As long as its not aimed at a game fish who’s season is closed. A hook, sinker and worm are ok in a lake having roughies, catfish and bullheads. But if walleyes are also found there, you probably wouldn’t want to have a floater and a minnow on the line since that rigging is more in line with walleye fishing.

The rule book contains all of the do’s and don’ts….or more to the point, the cans and can’ts.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Go on out and fish the crappies or sunfish and if a walleye or a bass decides what you are offering looks good enough to chew on, so be it. You can’t tell which fish to eat and which to not. The ones you know you can’t keep that end up on your hook you take off and toss them back. No foul at all. The only time you’ll get in hot water is if it appears to a CO that you are intentionally trying to catch a closed season species.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.