The Pits

• lew
    Kasson, MN

Made my first trip today to the Country Club Manor pits. Caught a number of small sunnies, crappies and bass. All went back. After moving a couple of times I hit on something big. I was fishing with my ultralight rig and casting a 1/8 oz. safetypin spinner when I felt the weight on the end of the line. I set the hook and off he went peeling out on my drag. I quickly switched to backreeling and let him go for awhile. When he took a break I started reeling him in. With four pound test it’s slow and steady. All of a sudden my new friend turns around, goes air borne and spits out my spinner. I obviously don’t know how big he was, but he certainly looked bigger than the 3.5 lb largemouth bass I caught up north a couple of years ago. If I had to guess, I would say it was at least a six pound bass. I have to confess though, I only saw the belly of this fish as he came up to spit the hook. It’s probably best I didn’t catch him. I was fishing alone without a camera. Who would have believed me?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Just goes to show that even small bodies of water that the average person drives by on their way to a bigger lake can hold big fish. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Lew,

Thanks for the report! Now you’ll need to go back, that fish has your name on it.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thats right Lew. You will dream about that fish, think about it while you are at work, think about it when you aren’t at work, think about it when you are home, think about it always til you catch it again and land it. Theres no way around it. Its your fish, you gotta have it, gotta catch it! [want me to shut up now?] lol.
    Thanks, Bill

[think I need a fishin fix bad]

lew
    Kasson, MN

I sometimes actually park right next to that pond. Now I won’t look at it and wonder IF there are fish are in there. Now I will wonder WHERE IS MY FISH? The first thing I thought was that I had the wrong gear. My new Okumo reel that I bought from HOF was in the trunk of my car at the time. The next thought was that I had no camera. Oh well, to live and fish another day!

lew
    Kasson, MN

Took my neighbor with me to the Pits last evening. Went to the North Pit for the first time as I’ve heard that’s where the big bass are. We had a fun couple of hours though we only saw silver dollar pancake sized sunnies and I had two small bass. One was about 7 inches and the other about 5 inches long. After last night though, I’m fairly convinced that the 6 pounder I had on my line the other day must have been a carp. The carp were jumping all over the place last night. We still had fun though until the mosquitoes came out and attempted to carry us away. And that’s no small feat as I am no small guy.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Still could be a bass and still could have your name on it. Whatyou saw might have been what the monster eats to get as big as she is.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.