Anyone Fishing Chesterwoods?

• lew
    Kasson, MN

I’m sure it will be crowded this week-end, but has anyone been fishing Chesterwoods yet? How’s the fishing been?

hof
    Rochester, MN

Hey Lew,

I haven’t been there myself yet, but I have been hearing some very good reports on the nice bluegills and crappies. I am sure this weekend will produce some great bass! Don’t forget about the huge catfish in there.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

davebmork
    Hayfield Mn

Just got back from chester woods and the crappies and sunnies were going really good in the sun. water temp was 71 degrees in the back. The biggest sunnie was 9 inches and the crappies were all average size. tube jigs were the ticket.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

71 degrees? Wow. The Mississippi River has been hovering at 60 degrees for about a week now. I would imagine the bass guys will fare quite well once they get a crack at those fish. Were the bass on beds?

Thanks for the report.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report. Those warm temps will sure keep the fish bite going pretty good. Everyone have a great Holiday weekend.
    Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Does anyobne know what they charge for a yearly pass to the park? When you consider theres a lake with good panfish [DNR is managing it for a world class bluegill fishery] and bass and a nice ramp to put your boat in [trolling motor power only] and a nice campground there too its a really nice place to just get away or take the family for the weekend.
    Thanks, Bill

lew
    Kasson, MN

Found this on the Olmsted County Web Page:
    $5.00 daily or $25.00 annually.
    $5.00 daily or $20.00 annually for Senior Citizens.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks. If I have a senior moment [forgetfull] does that qualify me for the senior citizen discount to save 5 bucks?
    Thanks, Bill

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Bill, If that’s how it works, I could get mine for free.LOL Seem to be haveing more of them lately

hof
    Rochester, MN

If that’s how it works, they would need to pay me!

Good Fishing,
    Mike

nitch33
    Rochester, MN

Went fishing today with my son and his best buddy . We did quite well fishing from one of the fishing docks. We caught 8 keeper sunfish, and a couple of keeper crappies. Also caught several bass and quite a few smaller sunfish. We fished plain jig heads with a piece of crawler. I tried a small jig with plastic (tried chartreuse, and brownish color) did not seem to get the same kind of action. The two boys had a great time, so did I.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Did CW today. The bite was slower than the day before. Weather, Weather, weather. Fished a small jig under a float. Fished the trees & got a meal for tonight. They sure were good. We need some sunny days to get them going again. Well Good Fishin Doug

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome you guys. Great to have you guys with us on In-Depth. We ALL learn from everybodies sharing so please feel free to share all you want. Doug, did you get your In-Depth stickers? There are more being printed and they are being sent to Mike at HOF for the location to get them at. And the are going for free over the next couple months. I gave him the last 5 that I had and more are coming. Thanks, Bill

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Yes, I stopped at HOF and got 1. Thanks !! I’ll be wanting more But will wait till the new ones come out. 5 more days till Muskie season Got some new lure to field test & I’ll be at it all next wknd. Good Fishin Doug

hof
    Rochester, MN

How are the bluegills and crappies running for size this year? Seems like last year an 8 inch bluegill was common but the crappies were on the small side. Are you able to see them when fishing from a boat or is the water too dirty right now?

Good Fishing,
    Mike

nitch33
    Rochester, MN

The sunnies we caught were in the 9-10 inch range. The crappie were in the 12-13 inch range. Most of the bass we caught were smaller. Caught two or three bass that were right in the 15 inch range, released them.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Mike, I was fishin the deeper trees. I saw nothing in really shallow. Size was 10.5 on average. (crappies) Are we ever going to get a calm day? Good Fishin Doug

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Now that sounds like a really nice fishery with panfish that size from a down south [everybody says you have to go up north for fish that size] lake and its sooooooo close to Rochester too. We are soooooo spoiled in this area when you think of the great fisheries we have right here in our own back yard so to speak. The DNR is managing that lake for a world class bluegill fishery and it sure sounds like they are doing an excellent job. I would like to say ”THANKS” to the DNR for the great job they are doing. Alot of people like to complain about them as they are never happy no matter what the DNR does but they are doing all they can with less people and less dollars and yet we have a fairly new lake here with fish like that in it and pool 4 being a world class walleye and sauger fishery and lots of other lakes/rivers/streams in the area that are great places to fish too. Thanks to them we have alot a great places to fish. The money we spend for our fishing licenses is the best well spent bargin money can ever buy. We don’t realize how blessed and lucky we really are.
    Thanks, Bill

hof
    Rochester, MN

Well said Bill! I totally agree.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What are the regs that are in place to protect the panfish pops at Chesterwoods? With reports of 9″ – 10+” pannies coming from that body of water somebody is doing something right! Bill? Do you know off hand?

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

It’s 10 fish limit. And in the winter sun fish have to be 7 in. to harvest. Hope this helps.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Doug. This body of water has really taken off not only with the panfish but with the bass too. Some big ones in there. And it can be fished from shore OR from a boat with using the electric trolling motor only. Best of both worlds and close to Rochester too. Great for a couple hour fishing trip if you are short on time. [Fishing Fix] Time to stock up on the B-Fish-N Tackle Ringworms, Super-doos and K-tails and I know Mike at HOF has a good supply.

Thanks, Bill

Kenjack

Guys, I was out on Monday evening at CW and when not dodging the squalls I was battling the fish.. I caught and released about a dozen crappies and a few largmouth bass. The crappies I caught were on fatheads and were big! I saw some folks with a great stringer of sunnies. None were small!

For as sucky as the fishing was there this past winter it seems to have totally turned on!!

Don’t everbody go running out there though, o.k.!!!! IF you do practice catch and release when you can…

Thanks!

Ken

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.