River locations during late ice

• ironmike1

I make a couple trips over to the Onalaska, LaCrosse, Stoddard area each year. We have a lot of success in December and early January but our trips at the end of February and early March have been consistently poor. What type of water are you having success in at the end of the ice fishing season? Amount of current? Depth? Bottom composition? What is most important?

tim hurley

Not sure if you are fishing a backwater at all but if you are those areas can get cut off from the oxygen of the main river and really shut down late season.good luck

Cgasp3605

Ironmike1, I grew up in that area and the best locations that I know for late ice are near the deeper water off the main channel. Also the deeper holes in the backwater locations can hold fish late. A lot of the spots are community holes but to name a few from North to South would be the deeper ended of Lake Onalaska, the Onalaska spillway, the brown townhome area near I-90, catgut slough, the lock and dam, Pettibone Marina on the South end, Green Island backwater, and the deep edge of Lawrence Lake. Navionics is hit or miss on their depth maps in that area but it can give you an idea of where to start. The locals will be out in a lot of it. Be careful of changing ice conditions on the river. They truly change daily. Good luck and tight lines.

jld
    Holmen

Cgasp3605 you are spot on with your Navionics comment. Lake Onalaska has several 10 ft plus deep areas but you would never know it by looking at the app. It has been a tough bite the last few weeks to be sure. Marking lots of fish but it has not translated to catching a lot. Tons of pressure all winter is taking its toll. Find that deeper water in the next few weeks and I think fishing will pick up. Still well over 20″s of ice. Pressure will decrease as guys can’t drive out also.

ironmike1

Thanks Cgasp. I’ll be over this weekend trying some new spots.

r55945

The old Garmin chips show several holes over 10′ in the lake, crappies have been turning on the last few days. Several in the 12 to 13″ range, red plastic on a 2mm gold tungsten head has been very effective. Really, really, small presentation.

r55945

Another note, the main channel below L&D #7 is open, east channel is opening up, & open water below the spillway on the Black River. Spud your way across the ice if fishing any current areas.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.