River/Lake Boat Suggestions

• Bluegill89

I want to get a boat that is primarily for rivers but will work decent on Lakes also. I know it’s hard to have the perfect boat for every situation but I am debating a Mod V with a short shaft prop outboard. Any suggestions on brands or may be a different type of boat?

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

Well a good starting point is your budget. Good used boats are expensive and have been for the past 1.5 years.

Karry Kyllo

I have a 2000 DC Lund Alaskan and I think it’s almost the perfect boat to go from river to lake. Alaskans are fairly light, easy to load, unload and pull down the road, have a relatively shallow draft and are built very well. I regularly fish with my Alaskan for cats and walleyes in the Red River and regularly fish for walleyes on Fort Peck, Sakakawea, LOTW and Devils Lake. They make 16 and 18 foot models also and if you prefer a tiller, that is also an option.
    I’m sure there are other makes and models that would work well for you also, but it’s tough to beat an Alaskan for just what you describe.

Deuces

Really important to know what size rivers you plan on fishing as well.

Skinny upper croix river is quite a bit different than pool 4 river.

stevenoak

I’ve owned over to 2 dozen boats. Bought, fixed up and sold to upgrade. When I didn’t have cash to do so. Deep V is a good choice if you take young, old or anyone uneasy around the water. If you are in rougher or cold water. A windshield in nice. But a console takes a lot of space. One of my big priorities has been rod storage. Been 50 years since I bought my first boat. After fishing big and small lakes and rivers. If I was to order a new boat today. It would be a 1650 {1850 for over 2 people} Alumacraft. New light weight 70 hp Yamaha tiller. 90 on an 1850. Fast enough for me, no need for the 9.9 kicker. My Terrova suits me fine. Without the additional cost and problems with the fancier models. I’m fine with Helix grade electronics. Mapping, temp, and decent look below. Leaving some challenge to find and catch the fish.

Bluegill89

St. Croix/Upper Mississippi.

milemark_714

I would go with an Alaskan 16’or18.You will have days that a mod-v will beat you up,the Alaskan will laugh at those days.But those Alaskans are hard to find and command a good price.But they are worth it in my opinion.

dbright
    Cambridge

If your main use will be the upper croix and upper Mississippi you are leaning the right direction with a mod v jon. If I had intentions of it spending any time on the lake I would skip the short shaft transom.
    A wide hull with the motor mounted right will run as shallow as any short shaft. Mike Westman has a lowe 1860 with a 70hp yamaha. It works great on the rivers he runs and seems to do alright when it gets rough.

Bluegill89

How efficient are prop guards/rock hoppers for an outboard?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.