river ice fishing

• zubba
    potosi,wi

I want to know if any one else that fishs the Mississippi has any input on why it seems fishing the river is so tough. The water levels are constantly changing and when they are dropping the water, it seems to suck the mud from the banks and dirtys the water up, because it is only 2ft deep in a lot of areas we fish now. The backwaters have all been silted in down here on pool 11&12. They have dredged a couple spots and it is 6-7 ft. When the water is constant or rising it seems fishing is better. Most the spots that hold fish are not secret and they are packed with people keeping everything they catch to get a limit. So all the commotion made by 60 people on a pond can’t be good for catchn the big ones, right. The same fish are seeing the same lures day in and day out. Then we have to talk about is it a day they are biting or are they tight lipped. I know that they can’t bite all the time or there wouldn’t be any left but if a person fishes all winter you would think he mite get into a mess once, right. Does anybody think these factors affect the bite. Everything has to be just right in order to get a nice mess of fish. There is not a lot of info on ice fishing the river. I would like to see an episode trying to unlock the secrets of ice fishing the river. I just touched on a few things I see happening. Then you get a couple bad spawn years and the massacre of small panfish, it is no wonder the fishing can be so tough. Anybody have anything to add on figuring out the bite? couple pics with dad and my nephew from sat.

Attachments:
    1. zub-1.jpg

2. zub-2.jpg

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

There may be a bunch of fish on the heavily trafficked areas, but if there is one thing I learned from an unhealthy amount of hours watching IDOTV…. I would say get away from the crowds, if possible. That can be tough to do AND find safe ice though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.