River fishing boats

• scottaheller

I want to do more small to medium river fishing this year and looking for the right boat to do it with. I want something I can move by myself, maybe drag through the woods to river access. Initially thinking a canoe would be a good option but I’ve never spent much time in one. I came across Golden Hawk Canoes, they appear to be well suited for this? Maybe a 12′ jon boat? I’d like to be able to fish and duck hunt out of.

Any suggestions?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I use a 12 foot aluminum Lowe jon boat to fish a smaller river in midsummer. It can draft through 2 inches of water. I haven’t been able to use it 3 out of the last 4 years because of drought. Water levels have been too low.

I do not have an outboard for it, I usually go with someone else and we start at point A and finish at point B. So we just float with the current and use paddles to steer. We’ll stop along the way and anchor in deeper holes.

It would be difficult to move a 12 foot jon boat by yourself. I always have help.

It works well for waterfowl hunting too. I haven’t used it for that purpose in a few years now, but I have in the past. Ideal for 2 hunters, no more.

Being solo, maybe a kayak is a better option.

GB
    Baudette, MN

Keep your eyes peeled for a Grumman sportboat. They are tricky to find but a great cross between a canoe and small boat. They are built incredibly solid and very stable. They are rated for a 6hp outboard but I’ve seen people go higher hp. 15ft 4in long, 3 benches.

dbright
    Cambridge

I grew up using a 1436 sear jon boat. I did everything you say you want to do with it. I used anything from rowing to a 10hp. A 4hp Johnson was on it most of its life.

You can’t go wrong with a canoe either if you are OK with doing floats instead of a single access point.

mojo

I have spent a lot of time on the water. LOTS of time before I was old enough to own a proper boat in whatever I could make float. Avid duck hunter in my better days. In my opinion, canoes are really only safe for very experienced users if doing anything other than gentle paddling in relatively calm water. A Jon boat is better for one person, but can be sketchy with two people, and NEVER make any excessive movements – two people setting the hook while fishing out the same side of a Jon boat is bad.
    ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY wear your life jacket 100% of the time by yourself or otherwise. 4 years ago this month I went overboard from a 12×32 Jon boat just making a bad move unhooking a snag. Fortunately, I was wearing a life jacket and was fishing among trees. Only cost me a new iPhone, could have been much worse.
    Re-entering a boat after going overboard is often overlooked as a big part of the surviving an overboard event. Loss of gear can also be a huge tragedy. And if the boat does have any kind of running motor, recovery may be a big deal.
    I recommend finding the most stable boat you can maneuver yourself. The Pelican Bass Raiders are incredibly stable and still amazingly lightweight, and the 10 foot model is even good for two people with a trolling motor & deep cycle battery or up to 5 hp outboard. Can go through some incredibly tight stuff and very shallow water with just a push pole (they are too wide for comfortable paddling.) The only real downside is that they don’t sit flat in the bed of a truck.
    In any case, stability is far more important than extra shallow water capability when making your decision.

Deuces

Depends on your definition of small to medium rivers but a 12 or 14′ w a short staff is pretty versatile and a good rig to start with especially if current is up

MX1825

I agree with GB above. A Grumman Sport Boat is way better than a 12 foot Jon boat. They are not hard to find but waaaay more expensive than a small Jon boat. They weigh approximately 100 lbs and I’ve seen them equipped with wheels for transporting/portaging.

donkoehne
    NULL

I use a 10 foot Jon boat with a 1.5 Honda. I can drag it myself (unloaded).
    I like it very much.
    I still have my walker bay 8 foot dingy with a Newport vessel 12 volt 36 amp trolling motor. This one is easier to drag but it is much more tippy.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I use a Grumman Sportboart for exactly what you’re talking about. Our family uses it A LOT (way more than the bigger boat collecting dust in the garage).

Very versatile, 6HP on the back it will go 17mph. 14mph with all of us in it. I can drag it myself and 2 people can put it on top of a vehicle.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2690.jpg

2. IMG_2442.jpg

3. IMG_7276.jpg

4. IMG_7336.jpg

5. IMG_7260.jpg

6. IMG_1394.jpg

tim hurley

I like my 14 light Jon. I would recommend the light version. I put mine on portage wheels made for a canoe-works great but takes 2 people to put it on. I have seen people use stabalizers on canoes, even saw some teenagers use watercooler jugs succesfuly to stabalize their canoe.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I’m a canoe fan, and they can be tippy, no doubt. But there are a ton of stabilizer options out there to purchase. I’ve also successfully cobbled together my own homemade stabilizer using an extension pole for a roof rake and lashing boat bumper buoys to it. It was cheap and very effective. I could even stand up to cast or relieve my bladder. )

mazak500
    South West Michigan

Not sure on your location but I have a Golden Hawk canoe I would part with cheap. I believe it is 10′ in length. SW Michigan

scottaheller

Not sure on your location but I have a Golden Hawk canoe I would part with cheap. I believe it is 10′ in length. SW Michigan

I just came across the Golden Hawk canoes, they look very nice and would fit all my needs and wants. I’m in NW Wisconsin, a little too far from you. Plus I’m leaning toward the 12’9″ square back model. Put a trolling motor on it and away I go chasing fish, ducks and who knows what else.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I use a Grumman Sportboart for exactly what you’re talking about. Our family uses it A LOT (way more than the bigger boat collecting dust in the garage).

Very versatile, 6HP on the back it will go 17mph. 14mph with all of us in it. I can drag it myself and 2 people can put it on top of a vehicle.

Totally agree the the Grumman Sportboat.

I have an older model and it is a fantastic boat for shallow river fishing.

Good condition models are not cheap, but for boat that can be carrying necessary, the Sportboat is awesome.

jwellsy

I would not care to shoot out of a canoe or 12′ Jon. I would rather use it get to a blind.

I’ve been toying with the idea of building a modern version of a Realfoot Lake StumpJumper. Been collecting as many pics as possible of the original Calhoun Boat Works StumpJumpers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.