Rippin' Rap rod?

• Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Hey guys,

I’m trying to find the best rod to fish the size 05 and 06 Rippin’ Raps. I’ve seen James and Paul use a 6’6″ to 7′ medium action, ex. fast tip rod but they were catching pigs on the size 07 rap. Would you also recommend using this same rod for the smaller baits too? or use something lighter? What about a 6’6″ medium light action, fast tip for the 05 and 06 size rap?

Thanks!

Ryne

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Are you currently pitching 3/8 to 1/2 oz blades with a different rod that you like? If so, same rod

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Thanks Randy. I don’t own a rod like that at the moment. What would you recommend for relatively shallow, reservoir type fishing?

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Ryne, I think Randy was trying to assess if you had a rod that threw something similar to see if you had a rod capable of handling what you are trying to do. It sounds like you may not… but perhaps I am reading this a bit wrong…

Mark

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ryne, I would start with a Quantum Smoke SKS633FA as a starting point. Though I prefer 7′ rods, that is a 6-6 med light with a fast tip. I use a lot of Live Target Gizzard shads for pitching and my most common one to use is 2-1/2″ x 1/2oz. For that, I prefer the 7′ med Fast tip in a Quantum Smoke. When I go below the 1/2 oz, I like the lighter rod (*ie, 3/8, 1/4oz)

http://www.quantumfishing.com/products/3302/Smoke-PTA.aspx

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

Randy, thanks a lot for the input. I’m kinda partial to St. Croix, but that Quantum rod looks good. Do you think you get a better value for the same money with that Quantum rod?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey guys,

I’m trying to find the best rod to fish the size 05 and 06 Rippin’ Raps. I’ve seen James and Paul use a 6’6″ to 7′ medium action, ex. fast tip rod but they were catching pigs on the size 07 rap. Would you also recommend using this same rod for the smaller baits too? or use something lighter? What about a 6’6″ medium light action, fast tip for the 05 and 06 size rap?

Thanks!

Ryne

I like using the same rod to throw the #5 – #7. I’ve been using a 6’8″ Medium XF with 20# Sufix 832 and feel it is right on the money for those baits.

Ryne Jackson
    Kansas

James, much appreciated. Do you recommend a barrel swivel and leader also? Our water is generally pretty dark.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Randy, thanks a lot for the input. I’m kinda partial to St. Croix, but that Quantum rod looks good. Do you think you get a better value for the same money with that Quantum rod?

I own about 25 Quantum rods, about 22 Falcon rods, 5 or 6 Fenwicks plus a few Misc., and build ice rods out of busted St Croixs.

CBMN
    North Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryne Jackson wrote:</div>
    Hey guys,

Thanks!

Ryne

I like using the same rod to throw the #5 – #7. I’ve been using a 6’8″ Medium XF with 20# Sufix 832 and feel it is right on the money for those baits.

James,

Do you ever find that a MXF rod is a bit under powered for the #7’s?

I used a 6’8″ M XF St. Croix and a 6’10” M XF TUCR custom last year and I like both rods, but they seem maxed out with the #7’s to me.

So I have purchased a MH over the winter to try specifficly wiht the #7’s in mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.