RIP Jerry

• Sharon
    SE Metro

I just read that Jerry Springer died today. I’m sure many of you are familiar with his TV talk show which ran for over 27 years. KSTP has a nice article about him:
    kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/jerry-springer-politician-turned-tv-ringmaster-dies-at-79

On his Twitter profile, Springer jokingly declared himself as “Talk show host, ringmaster of civilization’s end.” He also often had told people, tongue in cheek, that his wish for them was “may you never be on my show.”
    “With all the joking I do with the show, I’m fully aware and thank God every day that my life has taken this incredible turn because of this silly show,” Springer told Cincinnati Enquirer media reporter John Kiesewetter in 2011.

Gotta love that he didn’t take himself too seriously. He seems like he would be fun to have known personally. Rest well, Jerry!

MX1825

The surprising thing is he wasn’t killed on the show.

AK Guy

I knew he was mayor of Cincinnati for a short time. I didn’t realize he ran for governor of Ohio. Would’ve been a different trajectory in his life if he won.

ThunderLund78

Saw this news today and made me REALLY nostalgic for the 90s. For me anyway, I was in high school/college, there were no cell/smartphones and it was the greatest days of my life.

A guy I knew in college actually fabricated a story with some friends from his home town and got on Springer. I remember watching that episode as if it was yesterday. He told us that some of those stories were indeed real, but the producers could tell there’s was fake. But they went with it anyway because they were naturally entertaining people. My friend went on to have a pretty big career in Pro Wrestling. Seems fitting.

CaptainMusky

That really was the golden age of daytime tv for sure! Man the folks you saw on that show really make you shake your head. Was the “Cash me outside how bow dat?” girl on Springer or was that some other show?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That really was the golden age of daytime tv for sure! Man the folks you saw on that show really make you shake your head. Was the “Cash me outside how bow dat?” girl on Springer or was that some other show?

Dr Phil. And that made her career.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Dr Phil. And that made her career.

Yeah she got really wealthy because of that!

Remote63

I was never a regular viewer, but I sure remember the stir he caused with his many and various adventures into combining talk-show and reality TV, before reality TV was a “thing.”

I think he ran his show ideas through network executives, and if they threw up in the hall, that was the show he did next.

If it wasn’t seedy, seamy, steamy, and cringe-worthy, it went to the reject box.

I’d like to see a short-list of his greatest hits, as long as I didn’t have to watch them.

He had the touch for bringing you both sides of controversial issues so you didn’t like either side.

Anyway, may he rest in peace, as may his viewers alive and departed.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My favorite quote from his show was a gal yelling at the crowd saying “we are not like all of you, we own our trailer”. Loved that show.

Wonder if any of these people would be available to run for office?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Was never a fan of the show.

May he R.I.P. or whatever he would consider peace.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That’s fantastic.

FinnyDinDin

I hope he went out Jerry style, in a blazing ball of white trash fire!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My favorite quote from his show was a gal yelling at the crowd saying “we are not like all of you, we own our trailer”. Loved that show.

Wonder if any of these people would be available to run for office?

Seems they already are

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Saw this news today and made me REALLY nostalgic for the 90s. For me anyway, I was in high school/college, there were no cell/smartphones and it was the greatest days of my life.

A guy I knew in college actually fabricated a story with some friends from his home town and got on Springer. I remember watching that episode as if it was yesterday. He told us that some of those stories were indeed real, but the producers could tell there’s was fake. But they went with it anyway because they were naturally entertaining people. My friend went on to have a pretty big career in Pro Wrestling. Seems fitting.

That’s awesome, my buddy once slept with a girl who was on maury for the if the guys were or were not the buddy daddy. This was before she was on the show. We still tease him all the time when we see each other. It was priceless when my at the time woman sent me the video at work and asked isn’t that the chick Andy brought over. chased

bigcrappie
    Blaine

According to a family spokesperson, Springer died peacefully Thursday at his home in suburban Chicago after a bout with pancreatic cancer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.