Rigging tip-ups (line)?

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Made the mistake of telling my family I wanted a Tip-up for Xmas, now have four. Plan to use it for pike, what line should I put on them? Can I use 50lb Power Pro or do I need to use something designed for ice fishing? I plan to put a sinker, swivel and quick strike rig w/ dead smelt for bait.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

There are some braids made just for tipups. 50 is pretty heavy but just fine. I rig a swivel then some 20lb florocarbon leader for 2 feet then small black snap. They snap on my quick strike. Live suckers or dead, pike love em.

Paul Delaney

When fishing tip-ups especially in clear water conditions I prefer to use a #20 tip -up line in the color of white. When fishing in shallow water I believe that the white line blends into the bottom of the ice when fish are looking up at your bait and it is much less visible. I also will always tie in a flourocarbon leader of about 3 feet to separate your main tip up line from your bait. I hope this helps you rig up your new tip ups. Good fishing and be safe.

Greg R.
    New Berlin, WI

I agree with JD. I like using 30 lb suffix tip up line. 20 lb fluro leader on a swivel. Also tip up line is alot cheaper then power pro braid. Suffix also makes a metered line. It goes from black to white line every 5 feet. Good luck and stay dry

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’m a huge fan of fishing tip ups for walleyes. Whether you realize it or not you’ve raised a very good question that I’ve put a lot of thought into over the years and to this day continue to make many tweaks to my presentation.

I personally will only fish vinyl coated line now (others don’t like it because of the memory) but it does not absorb water and significantly reduces your chances of screwing up a fish by having your spool freeze up if you leave the tip up out of the water too much… This is what i recommend.
    http://www.rapala.com/sufix/tip-up/performance-v-coat-tip-up/performance-v-coat-tip-up-line/Performance+V+Coat+Tip+Up.html?id=2

I then add a 6′ leader of 100% fluorocarbon 14# test to my hook. if there are pike in the area I will either use a quick strike rig or 8″ leader both made out of 30# 100% fluorocarbon.

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

Can you use traditional knots when connecting this tip-up line to a swivel?
    What knot do you use?

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Palomar knot will never come loose.

Paul Owens

Thanks for posting this question! I got 2 new Packers colored Beaver Dam’s for Christmas and have been trying to decide what to spool them with.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Thanks for posting this question! I got 2 new Packers colored Beaver Dam’s for Christmas and have been trying to decide what to spool them with.

Might I suggest stinkbait devil

fieds
    ottertail county

Use vinyl coated tip up line or u will get wind knots–when fighting your biggest fish ever and your laying it out as u reel it in.

uncoated line will freeze to the ice–when the largest walleye you’ve ever seen takes one last run— causes the hook to pop out of her lip.

uncoated line will burn your finger off— when that 25 pound’r makes her big run and u realize u only have 5 feet of line left before being spooled. your fingers are your drag.

uncoated line will knot up at some point, reference first paragraph–this causes re-checking/re-setting of depth at prime time when multiple flags pop.

Use coated line, the benefits far out-weigh any negatives. use a floro/mono or steel leader also

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Will and fieds hit it right on. The dacron line is nothing but tangles and it freezes to the ice.
    I fish tip ups for walleyes quite a bit and would make sure you are using a coated line for sure.

fishdale

Must be the year for tipups for Christmas. I got 2 also and was just starting to do research on what to do with them.

Thanks for the info

TripleA
    Blaine

To set up the special Packers colored tip ups simply cut a hole in the ice (preferably deep water), insert one end of the tip up into the hole and lightly push the other end in a downward motion…

Next you simply head home and relax while watching the Packers repeat this on TV. mrgreen

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I then add a 6′ leader of 100% fluorocarbon 14# test to my hook. if there are pike in the area I will either use a quick strike rig or 8″ leader both made out of 30# 100% fluorocarbon.

Hey Will-why the full 6′ leader? I’m still learning ‘eyes on tip-ups, was hoping you’d explain the length factor there. Thanks!

-Rev

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think that he fishes clear water a lot so separating that high vis line from your bait is very important. Just a guess.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

That’d be my guess too, but interested all the same.
    My lakes here range from the very clear, to the very stained. I’ve been wondering if maybe a longer leader/different rigging might help me out in some of the clearer ones. The darker ones I’m not as worried about-some are so dark as to have virtually no night bite.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Will Roseberg wrote:</div>

Hey Will-why the full 6′ leader? I’m still learning ‘eyes on tip-ups, was hoping you’d explain the length factor there. Thanks!

-Rev

First reason is that I do feel the thicker coated tip up line would spook fish so I run a long leader. Second reason is with 6′ if you need to retie over the course of a season a few times you can do so and still have enough leader.

Happy New Years everyone!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.