Rigging Rods?

• Spencer Koch

Wondering if anyone has suggestions about a rigging rod? Looking for something with good sensitivity for a decent price…Eyecon by St. Croix? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Dave maze
    Isanti

If I was buying a dedicated rigging rod it would be a 7′ avid x. Medium light, fast action. I just never liked the feel of the eyecon series.

Dan Baker

I love my 7’2″ Tuned Up Custom Rods Apex Elite Ml fast rod for rigging. Amazing sensitivity and power.
    Dan

Deuces

Another rod for a custom in my arsenal one day.

Grab some fishing line, thicker easier to handle stuff, 20-30#, snip off 15′, tie on a #4 fine wire Oct hook. Bring in store and thread thru your potential future rods. Stick hook on tip of finger and start bending rod.

How far can that bend go before you start feeling that hook good? I like my rod with a little load on it with the weight, helps me know I have contact with bottom when boats a rockin,so I like to have not alot but let’s say more bend than normal so I can feel out the bites. Is that a weed? Maybe a rock, perhaps just the minnow shaking it’s ars? I don’t have to feed line and waste precious moments on those spots on spots, I can let the rod flex, give it 2-3 more seconds before I decide which way to go, bc I know for a fact that fish(if it is) ain’t feeling me. Fish eat fish, a prick in its mouth from a hook ain’t crap, it’s the tension that kills imo. Get a rod that gives tension.

I’m a firm believer in mono for this as well. Done my experimenting with braid and just feel the hookup and retainage ratios are far greater with a noodle type rod and stretchy mono line than any other setup with these smaller hooks most guys use(1,#2,#4,#6).

Again, the cheaper rods with their flimsier graphite wins the day for me. Fenwick hmg 76 light power won in my rod tourney bracket I had going in Cabela’s few years back. Gets me as close to what I was looking for. Handles are great and doesnt break the bank.

bclii
    MN/AZ

IMO this is about the best rigging rod. 25 years ago it was labeled “the Mille lacs rod” wife has bin fishing it for about that long too. I use a st Croix 7’6” 1pc that I built and the g loomis is much more sensitive.
    G. Loomis IMX Hot Shot Spinning Rod IMX 9000S HSR

AnotherFisherman

I own the Eyecon Riggin’ rod. Absolutely love it. I would recommend and will be buying again. I believe the specs are close to. 7′ Med-Lite Fast Action

mojogunter

For me a G. Loomis GLX 9000S HSR is the best rigging rod I have found.

catmando
    wis

I have a Berkley Series one 7.6 med light, and I would cry if ever I broke it

hnd

the eyecon rigging and the fenwick elite techs are nice medium/high grade rods that i think give me the sensitivity to run rigs. i rig on the river mostly so the current requires that level of sensitivity. a legend series would probably give me much more but at the price and how i dont’ baby my rods i don’t think i’m goign that route.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.