Rigging electronics

• Carter Paulson

Guys that have Pro-V’s or any model really how hard is it to rig electronics yourself? Is it worth the effort and saved money or should a guy just pay to have it done? What tips do you have other than patience and beer? Thanks!

brad-o
    Mankato

I like doing it. If you are particular do it yourself. You will know how you like your boat setup better then the person doing the rigging. I am looking at buying new so I will have them do it. Most dealers will throw in free rigging if you buy your electronics from them.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Have you done any rigging before? Are you willing and used to hunting for the lowest prices for all of the components? Do you have the time, tools and garage or shop to work in? If the answer to all of above is yes, then go for it. Don’t assume that you can save a lot of money. Depending on the discount you get factory installed electronics, trolling motor, etc. can come installed very competitive to what you can do. Factory work is covered by warranty your work not. I rigged my Impact this spring myself. Did save some money but not as much as I expected. Took longer than expected also but it is set up the way I wanted it.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

What tips do you have other than patience and beer?

That’s the best tip!

I’m not handy and never claimed to be. Rigging is an exercise in frustration for me but I continue to do it. It’s worth it to me so now I know where everything is and how it works. When something goes wrong out on the water then I know how to deal with it.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I do my own stuff, but its nice to have a pro do it the first time, then pulling wires, etc., is much easier…

Mark

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m not handy and never claimed to be. Rigging is an exercise in frustration for me but I continue to do it. It’s worth it to me so now I know where everything is and how it works. When something goes wrong out on the water then I know how to deal with it.

So true. It’s a love hate relationship.Most of it is pretty simple.

My best advice is to do it right the first time. Otherwise you’ll get road rash on your kicker motor.

Attachments:
    1. D9531E25-455C-454F-950E-D820893172CB.jpeg

DonG

I do all my own so I know where it’s installed, the material used, all the access points, soldering where needed, fuses are in place, right size wires, also future planning. My installations are all neat and secure and have never had an electrical issue.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.