Riding lawnmower

• Slipbob nick

Anyone researched deals on riding mowers recently or any opinions on what’s the way to go? Really old craftsman frame broke and sold it as is for more than I would’ve anticipated. Looking for something similar and new. 42” deck probably and basic as can be. Less to go wrong the better. Figure will be something use next 20 years like the previous one.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Ive been browsing just because i am bored too. my 8 year old troybilt with a kohler has been smoking lately only when i start it. at first i thought it was seeping oil and it was getting on the muffler but not so sure after taking it apart yesterday.

going to try and figure it out this spring i guess? anyone have any tips on things to look for? it starts/runs/cuts like a champ but this smoke has got me looking at an upgrade.

not trying to derail your thread Nick. looks like a new rider or zero turn is going to fall in the 2000 to 4000 range these days tho.

Iowaboy1

Skag,Gravely,Bad Boy.
    Lots of EV mowers including riders coming out now,avoid them unless you own a lightening generator

Beast

Toro running good deals right now.

Coletrain27

First decide what your price range is

Slipbob nick

Thinking around 2k for price range looks to be the starting price for basic ones

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Bought a used JD X540 for $2700 with 600 hours. I half debated flipping it for an easy $800 but am hanging on to it for now.

I’d bet you can get into a JD X300 series used in your price range if you’re willing to be patient

The_Bladepuller
    South end

The John Deeres you get from a JD dealer vs the big box store models have been good to me as value used purchases.
    1 at the lake and one in Anoka Co.

MX1825

FB marketplace and Craigslist has many choices. X series John Deere’s are good units as are Ariens.

mudhole

I did a TON of research last year and decided on Exmark. It seems to be what a lot of lawncare companies use. They use them because they are reliable. I got into their lowest commercial grade for 8k. More than what I wanted to spend but I wanted something quality that will last for years.

May be worth a look.

Beast

I did a TON of research last year and decided on Exmark. It seems to be what a lot of lawncare companies use. They use them because they are reliable. I got into their lowest commercial grade for 8k. More than what I wanted to spend but I wanted something quality that will last for years.

May be worth a look.

Exmark are excellent mowers. I had my last one for over 20 years and I have a 3 acre lawn, Toro is exmark/s parent company if that’s any help.

Coletrain27

I have a exmark laser X series but I do some lawn care work on the side.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

JD E130 for me. $2600 with twin bagger.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Classic IDO. applause

$2k was stated as the budget, and people are bringing up $8k+ commercial mowers.

CaptainMusky

Classic IDO. applause

$2k was stated as the budget, and people are bringing up $8k+ commercial mowers.

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

Slipbob nick

From the little research I’m seeing on line for $2-2500 seems plenty of options. John Deere feel like paying more for the name compared to the Murray, cub cadet, toro, etc..

Some showing Koehler engine some Briggs and Stratton. Either much better than the other? And by previous response it was referenced jd at Home Depot or similar being different than ones at a jd dealer? Any big difference in quality?

CaptainMusky

I have a lot of comments about the JD lawn tractors but I will mainly keep them to myself. Lets just say my dad has gone through 5 of them in the time I have had 2 and the one I just got. I have Simplicity. They are NOT cheap, but they are built like tanks this new one is unreal with power steering.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Finding a higher end used model where someone is moving, going bigger or such would get the best value…. The entry level versions of most mowers are just not built the best any longer. From the frames, decks, motors, none of it.

Keep in mind what lasted 10-20 years last time isn’t made the same now days. Like any old appliance, it is hard to buy anything built to last as long as they use to.

mrpike1973

The reason John Deere mowers are green is so they blend in better when you park them in the back of your yard after 5 of them went to carp that’s where they stayed for a long time. I have a simplicity 38 inch deck. Great mower had a cheapie Craftsman mower as well basically a MTD mower at the time. A $2000 mower will last for a few years and as my mower mechanic says just throw it away and get a new one sad but they just don’t make the low end ones to last.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.