Results from lithium batteries upgrade for trolling motor?

• Obsession
    Maple Grove

Lot of promising marketing claims from lithium battery companies these days. With all the innovation claims it is hard to calculate the exact performance benefits of upgrading (each boat setup is different).

1. Who’s made the upgrade to lithium batteries for their trolling motor?
    2. What was your old battery setup?
    3. What’s your new setup?
    4. Any unexpected issues with the upgrade?
    5. What real (ideally measured) change in performance did you experience?

*This is not a marketing post…just a guy who’s not an electrician trying to spend his fishing money wisely before his wife finds out!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I will be interested in following this post as I may also be looking to upgrade to Lithium batteries at some point soon. They are crazy expensive and there would need to be more than weight savings to justify the cost.

Musky Ed

Only downside is your pocketbook. I just wrote a check for them. Charger was a non-issue for me as already had that. I have run out of power with the existing 3-29 series deep cycle batteries and shouldn’t ever run out with the new lith ones. Also, you get quicker charging and a sustained full power. Weight wasn’t a deciding issue for me as boat was extremely heavy already so 100 less lbs probably won’t even be noticed.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I will be interested in following this post as I may also be looking to upgrade to Lithium batteries at some point soon. They are crazy expensive and there would need to be more than weight savings to justify the cost.

I agree, unless I really needed to save weight in my boat, the up front cost is still too high for me. I do think they eventually come down in price though.

I would have to also ensure that my chargers are Ok with lithium batteries too. If not, that would be another purchase.

Musky Ed

There is no downside other than their cost, need for a compatible charger, and the inability to not charge them below freezing.
    As to charging, most chargers with a specific AGM setting will charge them. Not a charger with a setting that says AGM compatible. Also charging can be accomplished below freezing by using these inexpensive plant heat grow pads for apx $25. Some have built in heaters that are available at a much increased price. This isn’t new technology, it’s been out for years.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I will be rigging my new 80# Terrova with Amped Outdoors 24V 50Ah battery on Friday.

I will then be on Pool 4 Saturday and hopefully have a positive report, and not a “help Im stranded report”. The 24V battery ran me $850 so GD it better be a positive report. Only reason I felt the need to go the lithium route was to save on weight.

Obsession
    Maple Grove

@ganderpike, is this a new boat or did you have a different battery setup prior? If so, what was your prior setup?

ganderpike
    Alexandria

My 2021 boat was a Lund Explorer with a MotorGuide Xi5. Great TM. Got a new Alumacraft tiller last year and rocked it with just a transom mount TM. Need Spotlock so went the Terrova route this year. Not a heavy boat so want to keep it light up front.

Attachments:
    1. D7633732-5A23-4951-9C20-DE9AC4F57193-scaled.jpeg

dbright
    Cambridge

I have wanted to make the switch for a few years and finally did over the winter. I went with a single 24v 100 ah battery from ampere time. I have only been able to get out a few times but both times I was able to recharge in under a hr with my 20amp hr charger. I always disliked the weight of two lead acid batteries in the front of my jon boat.

Alagnak1

Went from 2 lead fatties to one 24v 54 amp and no complaints. No technical info but less weight, fewer charges needed, haven’t run out on a day on the river with spot lock but that’s when it’s on a light 1860 jon boat. See how it holds up on the pontoon when I swap the set up here and there during the summer- but I’m not relying on it the same way either. I know the 80# trolling motor will be fine for power. It is much easier swapping one very light batt I know that. And I’m not using both boats at the same time anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.