Renting a sleeper shack

• Alex Roers

Me and some buddies are talking about running up to one of the big lakes for a long weekend this winter and renting a sleeper shack. I’ve done one on LOTW a few times with pretty good fishing. Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for good lakes/resorts that offer good fishing.

This wont be happening till later January or Feb.

Thanks,

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

If you’re looking for a weekend in the next few weeks you better start calling. Places fill up pretty quick for weekends on most lakes. Fishing wise, it’s hard to beat LOTW for numbers with trophy potential. Red has some good options Beacon Harbor, Red Lake Remote, West Winds. Mille Lacs has Hunter’s Point.

Again, start calling today if possible to try to book any time soon.

buck-slayer

I’ve been using Fred’s Beds on LotW you can drive your truck out to their shacks. If you can go during the week that works the best. You can stay in a 4 man shack with 2 guys. Weekdays they aren’t as busy so they’ll let you do that. 4 guys in 4 man shack gets pretty crowded. I’ve done the same at Arnesons also. Going this weekend arrive Sunday at 1 and fish till Tuesday. Pretty good about letting you stay longer on Tuesday if fish are biting.

Alex Roers

sweet! Thanks for the suggestions.

toddrun

I have done sleepers on both LOTW and Red Lake, with equal success, although I prefer LOTW personally. The only night fish I have caught on LOTW though is Eel Pout, I have had some great night fishing on Red. Red was less expensive and better houses, the service I went through had Ice Castles that were really nice. On LOTW they were homemade houses, although nice, not as nice as Ice Castles and less amenities. I like the shore resort services better around LOTW also.

Alex Roers

Part of the draw to LOTW for me, outside of the obvious amount and size potential of walleye, would be eel pout. Its been alot of years since I caught one but I really like catching and eating them.

skfishing16

We’ve had good fishing at Zipple Bay in the past. Shacks were nice and they will move you to get you on fish. The Igloo Bar is also worth checking out!

Alex Roers

I’ve always gone out of river bend, but when the guides that we liked left we kinda quit going up there.We used to stay in cabins and take the bombers out everyday, but its cheaper to just go to a sleeper and you get more time with a line in the water. It makes for an easy weekend though.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Based on what others have reported here, there won’t be any sleeper shacks on Mille Lacs anytime soon and Upper Red is a complete mess. That basically just leaves LOTW as your only option.

hawkguy

Mille Lacs will have sleepers out in 3 weeks when he is planning on going. They will probably book fast though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.