Removing a chain link fence post cap

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

Over the years some of the posts have raised up due to freeze/thaw resulting in a gap at the bottom of the fence. I would like to take those caps off, cut the post down a few inches and replace the cap. Any tips for popping the post cap off? Just tap with a hammer and maybe heat it some to expand it? For cutting the post, I plan to use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade.

I was going to call it a cyclone fence but you yutes might not know what that is. lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You should just be able to tap the cap up ward equally all around it. A dead blow hammer would be best if it’s a black fence or a regular hammer if it’s galvanized

stevenoak

If you can find a really big pair of nail nippers works great. Or cut them off, then you can lube and hit them from the inside with the butt end of a hammer handle.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If you can find a really big pair of nail nippers works great. Or cut them off, then you can lube and hit them from the inside with the butt end of a hammer handle.

What part of the cap would you cut with the nail nippers?

Attachments:
    1. rail-cap.jpg

MX1825

How much are you cutting off?
    If possible use a pipe cutter to cut the post 1st. It will be a straight cut. Take the cut off piece with the top attached and tap the post top off from inside. Use a piece of wood. Broom handle, dowel, etc.

blackbay

Why not pop the cap off, put a block of wood on top and give it a few wacks with a large hammer to drive it back down?

stevenoak

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stevenoak wrote:</div>

What part of the cap would you cut with the nail nippers?

If it has dome style. Use the larger nail nippers similar to a bottle opener. it they are big enough you can get under both sides at once.

Tom schmitt

Why not pop the cap off, put a block of wood on top and give it a few wacks with a large hammer to drive it back down?

This will be the easiest method unless the posts are set in concrete.
    A punch and hammer should allow you to tap the cap off.

Coletrain27

Should tap off pretty easy. Can cut it off or pound it down if it’s not in concrete. If you pound it down though be careful because they mushroom easy and then the cap won’t fit. We always use a portable bandsaw when fencing but you could cut it off with anything and just file the edges so the cap fits back in.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

They are the dome style and the posts are set in concrete. I’ll try popping them off, then cutting off the post. If that doesn’t work, I’ll cut the post off, then work to get the cap off. I don’t know if the pipe cutter I have is wide enough to get around the fence post; plus I’d probably have to unhook the fence to make room to rotate it.
    Thanks guys!!
    I like to putz on tasks like this.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Well, the end posts were the dome style. The ones in between the top rail went through the cap with a decorative piece on top.
    I did 2 posts today. Tapped lightly 2 times on the first one and it was loose. The next post I could lift off the cap. Fence is 40+ years old maybe 50+. I was expecting them to be a pain in the ass to get off. Milwaukee M18 Hackzall with a torch blade was easy peasy to cut them off. Took 3 inches off one and 4 inches off the other.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.