Refillable 1# tanks

• Coletrain27

At my local menards today and saw Mr heater is now making refillable tanks. They look like they fill the same as the flame king tanks except to purge them while filling you don’t need a hex wrench, they have a small little valve you can turn by hand to purge.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0043.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I seen those as well. I have been debating on getting a few of the flame kings. I could use 4. I don’t like the idea of these ones. To many things will catch that valve rolling around in my truck or shack. I like the wrench idea better.

tswoboda

Interesting, which Menards? I can’t find anywhere to buy them online or really much information at all. Mostly just on social media sites saying they’re available starting in January.

Home

Coletrain27

Interesting, which Menards? I can’t find anywhere to buy them online or really much information at all. Mostly just on social media sites saying they’re available starting in January.

Rochester

Coletrain27

I seen those as well. I have been debating on getting a few of the flame kings. I could use 4. I don’t like the idea of these ones. To many things will catch that valve rolling around in my truck or shack. I like the wrench idea better.

I don’t think the purge valves will catch on much or be a problem. You have to twist them to purge them. I have 6 of the flame king tanks and they work good but the small hex screws for purging suck, they are very small and very easy to strip. I would rather have the Mr heater style personally

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I don’t think the purge valves will catch on much or be a problem. You have to twist them to purge them. I have 6 of the flame king tanks and they work good but the small hex screws for purging suck, they are very small and very easy to strip. I would rather have the Mr heater style personally

Good to know. I’ll have to actually look at them

Aaron Mcgills

I saw this asked on one of their social media’s. It sounds like even if the bottom is not attached to the filler and the D ring is turned open, it wont leak. Patent Pending. Which I like but I really want to see which way the expelled gas is faced, I hate the flame kings spitting propane out onto the wrench when you go to try and close it, although not a huge deal just more of annoyance. I have 11 flame kings so hard to justify to complete change over but ill probably pick up one or two to see how they work with the flameking filler kit.

Coletrain27

Well that sounds awesome then. I should of just bought one today to try and compare the 2

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I just picked up the flame king kit and a couple extra tanks this fall, but will likely go with these tanks if they work with the flame king filler.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I didn’t find these at the Cambridge menards last night. But I will probably pick a few up.

For the flame kings. What’s the life on one of these tanks. 10 refills, 100 refills, or unlimited. I imagine they wear out ? Or am I wrong

deertracker

I didn’t find these at the Cambridge menards last night. But I will probably pick a few up.

For the flame kings. What’s the life on one of these tanks. 10 refills, 100 refills, or unlimited. I imagine they wear out ? Or am I wrong

Kind of unlimited. There is an o-ring that can be replaced but I have yet to need to. Not sure how many fills I have on mine though.
    DT

3Rivers

I started using the Flame Kings the moment they were available (about 5 or 6 years ago). I now have 6 tanks total and I’m guessing the oldest ones have probably close to 50 refills on them. The do have a rated use life of 13 years I think. I did replace the o-rings on a couple of them last year that were leaking a bit (during refill). However, they all work well and look like new.
    They have paid for themselves many times over, and I highly recommend them, however I am curious to try these new Mr Heater tanks, as mentioned there are some possible improvements to the design. Just going by looks, here some things I can see.

1. No hex wrench needed (I’ve lost a couple)
    2. Black in color which “might” help in keeping the tank a bit warmer in the sun but will also maybe keep people from mistakenly throwing them away (different color than green).
    3. Looks like it comes with a decent cap. I purchased brass ones for my Flame King tanks as the plastic ones are cheap and not really made for long term use.
    4. At $17.99 price point and with the Mr Heater name, they will be a competitor for sure.

Erik Swenson

BC, I think the legal tank life is 10 years? from the mfg date stamped on the tank. I retire them after that – at least from situations involving transporting them.

Coletrain27

1. No hex wrench needed (I’ve lost a couple)
    2. Black in color which “might” help in keeping the tank a bit warmer in the sun but will also maybe keep people from mistakenly throwing them away (different color than green).
    3. Looks like it comes with a decent cap. I purchased brass ones for my Flame King tanks as the plastic ones are cheap and not really made for long term use.
    4. At $17.99 price point and with the Mr Heater name, they will be a competitor for sure.

the mr heater caps are actually just cheapo plastic caps also. for my flame king tanks i ordered some nice brass caps off amazon also. the biggest thing i like is the tool less purging like you mentioned

3Rivers

I picked up a tank yesterday and did a quick video review, but hit a snag at the end as I was trying to use the Flame King valve to fill it. Found out you can’t use that one, it has to be Mr Heater brand.

deertracker

They look nice but I will stick with my Flame Kings for now. I have 8 anyways. I bought a longer T handle Allen wrench and it works great.
    DT

AK Guy

3Rivers, thanks for posting your video.

stevenoak

Interesting. I just read an article this morning. New York has Joined Calif. to outlaw single use propane tanks. They also are going to not allow gas lines to new houses, everything has to be electric. Hope these will be within the law. Would suck to need a mile of dropcord to run your “electric” Mr. Heater in the shack. Or run a 4,00-watt gasoline generator.

3Rivers

Here’s a follow up video, it works great, and I would recommend for sure:

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Maple Grove Menards had them in stock this morning.

Coletrain27

Nice review 3 rivers. I was hoping the flame king filler would work on them but I guess not. Looks like they will work great though with the Mr heater filler

troutbum
    St. Paul

Slick

Attachments:
    1. 43F7E5D3-092A-44CD-B3AE-5D93CF09AC04.jpeg

2. 83E4D2BE-20D4-4B33-BE5A-5350C716A58C.jpeg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Is the diameter the same as the Fame King or is closer to the disposal green tank?

3Rivers

Here’s another update. I did a quick comparison burn with 3 tanks.

This was the first time I actually used the Fuel Keg in my heater and I really wasn’t happy with how much it leaked while I was screwing it in.

AK Guy

I haven’t had a leak issue with my Fuel Kegs. But, I haven’t used all of them yet.

bates

So the $15 refill tank fitting and the free 1# tanks laying all over the ice won’t work?

3Rivers

So the $15 refill tank fitting and the free 1# tanks laying all over the ice won’t work?

Sure they work…marginally. No good way to get them filled all the way or at least filled to the same level every time. Yes, you can fiddle with the relief valve and weigh every tank on a scale, but eventually those steel threads are going to rust and those relief valves are going to leak. Not to mention they are not designed to refill and if an accident were to happen, you could face some liability.

bates

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bates wrote:</div>

Sure they work…marginally. No good way to get them filled all the way or at least filled to the same level every time. Yes, you can fiddle with the relief valve and weigh every tank on a scale, but eventually those steel threads are going to rust and those relief valves are going to leak. Not to mention they are not designed to refill and if an accident were to happen, you could face some liability.

The hundreds of times I’ve refilled them over the past 25+ and I still have all my fingers and toes. Better go get some more bubble wrap.

Coletrain27

The hundreds of times I’ve refilled them over the past 25+ and I still have all my fingers and toes. Better go get some more bubble wrap.

Good for you, if you don’t want to buy them then don’t buy them

3Rivers

Not sure why this topic triggers people so much? Great you found a solution and no accidents. Perfect

I’ve done both methods and my personal opinion is that the tanks designed to be refilled are vastly superior with both the product and process. I take pride in my demonstration/review videos and the recommendations I make. I do a lot of research before forming these opinions and I stand by what I said.

Worth the $50 for the valve and the tank? Yep, all day every day.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.