Reel Seats?

• Ben K.

Why do so many of the higher end rods come without reel seats? I would think that for stability and ability to switch out reels, a reel seat would be desired.

Also, what is the best way to attach a reel to one of these seat-less rods?

Thanks for your guidance.

IceWack

I’ve always been curious about that myself. Is it a weight thing? An additional cost thing? If you get a combo they’ve zip-tied the reel to the rod?? I mean really? Anyways I’ve always used electrical tape and just lived with that I’m not changing reels on that rod. On a different note I really like the reel seat on the Fishing 13 Widow Maker I picked up this year.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Electrical tape. Or pressure bands. You can find them at thorne bros and places similar

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Hockey tape.

Hopefully I don’t step on any toes with that suggestion. coffee

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

1″ wide medical tape is the best stuff I have found to use. Its nice on cork, only sticks to itself and is reusable for about 3 years.

Ben K.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.I’ve got my only seatless rod hockey-taped, but have always wondered if there might be something better.

Every rod I’ve purchased in the last 5 years has had a reel seat. Was just curious whether I was missing out on something with the high-end seatless rods.

Dan Baker

To add a reel seat, you need to add a lot more material to the rod to make it sturdy and durable. This adds extra weight and reduces the feel of the rod. It also limits an anglers ability to move the reel to adjust for balance. I agree that changing reels is inconvenient, but I also want peak performance from a high end rod, and no reel seat gives you that.

I attach my reels using 3M self adhesive silicone tape. Clam also makes a great reel tape but it is hard to find.
    Dan

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Does that make it a true custom rod? whistling

Jeff Telander

You can notch it in and put some grooves with a chainsaw file and attach it with castrating bands. Cork is easy to work with and you could probably just do it with a razor knife. I did this one with a dremel because it’s birch bark and a little tougher to work with

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2995.jpg

blank

Jeff, that’s pretty sweet!

maddogg

I think it’s cheaper for the manufacturer for one thing.
    It also allows the user the opportunity to balance the setup and put the reel where it is must comfortable for the grip of his /her choice.

Ben K.

That is pretty sweet, Jeff.

I’d have to borrow the castrating bands from my wife…

Jeff Telander

HA! I think my wife has some too. But I buy buy them at mill’s

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

That’s great, Jeff.

First I seal the cork with U-40 Cork Sealer. For anyone that’s unfamiliar, you’re missing out. Ice and open water rod will have that ‘new cork’ feel for many years.

I put a layer of painter’s tape on under the electrical tape because I don’t want to damage the cork in case I sell the rod, which I do routinely as I’m dialing in my collection. Then a few TIGHT, stretched layers of 3M Super 33 electrical tape. It works far better than the cheap stuff. The reel doesn’t move or flex a bit.

Jeff Telander

Agreed. U 40 cork seal is awesome. You can even give your old handles a quick sanding and touch them up with elmers wood filler. ( golden oak color matches the cork quite well) then sand again and seal with u 40. BOOM! Brand new handle ;)

Loren I Duerr

Eyeconic sells wider bright orange bands to hold reels on and do not damage cork handles. They do not need special tool to put them on.

Jeff Telander

Finished product. Not bragging… …ok I’m bragging!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2997.jpg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.